Scientific Forums

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post )

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

> tDCS Forgotten so quickly?, Help me build a "thinking cap"?
Fallion
Posted: Jul 23 2006, 02:57 PM

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

Referring to This Post (specifically arnie_lerma's)

Ok... so who's gonna be the inventor? I'll be the guinea pig. I've been keeping tabs on the net for tDCS since I read that article in April, and I'm itching to try it out. Has anyone here tried it yet?

Heh... I'm surprised the web has yet to spawn a focus group dedicated to improving their minds through tDCS. By now I expected to see design plans, shopping lists, and prototype photos of homemade "smart hats".

If anyone has any electronics expertise... as in how to make a device to connect to a 9volt battery that would allow you to vary the amperage, I'd love to try it. Anyone got any suggestions?

Cripes
Posted: Aug 15 2006, 11:28 PM

Unregistered

As a matter of fact tried it half an hour ago. was waiting untill i get soem free time to build it.

my tDCS device is rather simple. a 9v battery as suggested in the article, 2 good copper wires, and 2 two-pence coins. yeh i know, but i coudnt find anythign else to use as electrodes.

well... hmm... whetehr it works or not... hard to say.

when you put it on ( i had negative above right eye, positive to the side of the left eye)
the tingling builds up (my eyes watered for abit aswell). then after 5-6 min it becomes a very light mild burning. nothing much, easily bearable (but worriying never the less).

to test decided to try out an old "dancing" game
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/R2/

i could never complete a single song iwthout failing. they are quite hard. i just get all confused half way through as song.

with tDCS ... it was easier. hmm hard to describe. i still failed the song but my miss rate has decreased dramaticaly. it was now easier to correct mistakes if they were made (bit quicker reaction). I think it does work, personaly i am impressed by the results.

however i am abit worried about that burning tingling. dont wont to do any permanent damage to my lovely little brain.
Cripes
Posted: Aug 16 2006, 09:23 AM

Unregistered

hmm there seems to have been something wrong in my little device tongue.gif

well, for one, DO NOT use copper electrodes (like 2 pence coins, although they work alright smile.gif as they stain your skin. i now have a big round dark spot on the side of my forehead

second... CHECK THE DAMN CURRENT! if it BURNS, something is wrong. it actually burnt though the skin and left bruise marks. i hope it's gonna go after few days coz i look really silly.
i mean i can say that the forehead mark appeared after an awkward bump into a wall.. but what about the side one? tongue.gif

what you should be feeling is a really really slight tingle, the current should only be 1-2mA.

Oh yeah.... and when attaching the electrodes. at the point of connection it was giving me bright flashes in the yes tongue.gif not spots, it's like as if you instantaneously turn up brighness on your monitor for a split second. dont think that's right
paganken
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 12:53 AM

Unregistered

Hi --
I'm a reporter writing a story about tDCS, and I'm particularly interested in finding people who have hacked home versions of the rig and tried amping up their own brains. If you've done so, please contact me at paganken@comcast.net. If you need to remain anonymous in print, that's fine.

Thanks!
Precursor562
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 01:14 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 42.5%
Feedback Score: -46

I think you guys are gonna fry your brains....Literally. Just remember to keep the amperage low. Now that's the stuff that will kill ya.

--------------------
Time is the wisest counsellor
Guest_Carl
Posted: Mar 3 2007, 06:29 PM

Unregistered

Did you every write that article about homemade tDCS? I just attended a conference and saw a presentation about how it's easy to build one of these, and was thinking of giving it a shot. The problem seems to be deciding which part of the brain you want to activate and which part you want to deactivate.

-Carl
Constantine
Posted: Feb 7 2012, 03:06 PM

Hi Carl,
Can you share any details on the proper construction of one of these apparatus?
I have a quantifiable experiment that I'd like to test the efficacy of this device on.
I'll share the experiment results when completed.
Thanks!
actgif68
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 01:33 AM

How would one go about making something to regulate the gauss it puts out? Can anyone clarify this?

I've heard that making a hat or band and simply placing the coil around the head in a circular way is even more effective, at around 8 gauss at least

This post has been edited by actgif68 on Feb 8 2012, 01:36 AM
Constantine
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 01:12 PM

@actgif68

That's an interesting tidbit!
kanzure
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 03:54 PM

hey,

how about a transcranial ultrasound setup instead? any takers?

http://diyhpl.us/~bryan/papers2/neuro/ultrasound/

- bryan
http://heybryan.org/
irc.freenode.net ##hplusroadmap
obi-wan
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 05:50 PM

Hey, all. Newbie forum user here.

I was just casually reading this thread and realized that, for someone (like me) who knows electronics it would be an easy exercise to build a simple "current source" that would regulate the current of your 9V battery down to 1 or 2 milliamps, or whatever other value you wanted.

Just sayin.' I might do it myself to try this, as I'm very much interested in the possible results., and I would know that the current would not exceed whatever value I set it up for.

If anyone else wants to know how to do this, I might draw up a simple one. Is there a way to post a drawing here, or is there another place to post files like that?

Oh--it would involve a bit of soldering, and probably one transistor and maybe three resistors. More or less.

-ob1
masema
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 06:36 PM

Yes, I would be very interested in getting instructions/a diagram of how you would regulate the current from the power source.
DonGateley
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 08:33 PM

QUOTE (masema @ Feb 8 2012, 06:36 PM)
Yes, I would be very interested in getting instructions/a diagram of how you would regulate the current from the power source.

I tried to answer the question but the forum doesn't allow links. Silly, that.

Anyway, it's a remarkably simple circuit.
masema
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 09:48 PM

Would it be possible to describe it to me, or tell me what search terms may be helpful in a google search? I've looked around a little and usually what I find seems more complicated than what I am really looking for, as in regulating current for a larger power supply, not a 9v battery.

This post has been edited by masema on Feb 8 2012, 09:51 PM
joshganga
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 10:23 PM

If you do a search for "L200c regulator", you'll find what you are looking for. You'll need to plug it into a 12V source, and adjust the resistors accordingly for the current you require.

Disclaimer: Don't try this as home folks.... I might try it out some time, and post up my experience.

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

Terms of use