> Heaven's just a SIN away
coberst
Posted: Mar 10 2006, 10:17 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 60.32%
Feedback Score: -43

Heaven’s just a SIN away

There is a country song that has these lyrics.

Heaven's just a sin away,
Woah, oh, just a sin away.
I can't wait another day;
I think I'm givin' in.
How I long to hold you tight,
Woah, oh, be with you tonight.
But that still don't make it right,
'Cos I belong to him.

SIN—Self Induced Narcotic—is the sin I wish to focus on. I often find in my reading that the author refers to our modern culture as being narcissistic. I found this reference confusing; I have discovered that the term ‘narcissism’ has many different definitions.

One prominent characteristic of narcissism that everyone seems to agree upon is the narcotic effect that permeates our culture. Our culture has chosen to hide from reality; we have a problem with SIN--Self Induced Narcotic.

Attitudes are difficult to change. While walking by a store front one day I glanced at my reflection and noted that I walked with a distinct slouch that irritated me. I decided to change and began to consciously throw my shoulders back, suck in the gut, and walk erect. Of course, as soon as I stopped concentrating on my posture I went back to my habitual slouch. Every time I thought about my posture I would throw back the shoulders and suck in the gut. One day I noticed that my slouch was gone—I had changed by physical attitude.

To change our mental attitude is just the same process. First I must become conscious of the problem attitude, then I must will its change, then I must change my habits.

We can change our sinful ways of self induced narcotic if we follow this simple but hard process.
chicken
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 01:26 AM

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

Most people are not nearly so introspective. They simply do as their masters command through subliminal and not so subtle herding techniques. The sheep goes Baaaaah
Confused2
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 02:34 PM

Retreating member

Group: Validating

Positive Feedback: 63.06%

(coberst)
First I must become conscious of the problem attitude, then I must will its change, then I must change my habits.

Hmm.. very interesting. Clearly the identification of 'problem attitudes' relies on having some concept of the attitudes appropriate to a superior person. For some there is the more basic problem of trying to learn the concept of attitudes appropriate to being any sort of human being.

I suggest that there is a continuum between people who are born with totally blank slates in the 'how to be human' department and the 'perfectly normal'. Most of us manage to blend into the human race without causing too many problems to either ourselves or other people. I recently heard about someone who calculates pi in their head .. it is entirely possible that someone just asked him if he knew the value of pi .. as far as I know he's up to hundreds of decimal places and rising, he may never stop.

Coberst proposes becoming conscious of problem attitudes - for a tabula rasa there are only conscious attitudes - even the habits which make other people feel secure are calculated.

Could a tabula rasa be dangerous?.. probably this would depend on their background and what they are doing.. a good tabula rasa might work out 'better' than a less synthetic lifeform.. as long as they concentrate on what they are doing. In my humble opinion.. in a position of power they would be totally unpredictable and potentially extremely dangerous.

Fortunately it is most unlikely a tabula rasa could ever become (say) President of the United States - they would not be able to learn the 'people' skills - except in the most unusual of circumstances.

-C2.

--------------------
Anything completed in less than twenty years is likely to be hurried and unsatisfying.
coberst
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 03:12 PM

Advanced Member

Confused2

"Clearly the identification of 'problem attitudes' relies on having some concept of the attitudes appropriate to a superior person. For some there is the more basic problem of trying to learn the concept of attitudes appropriate to being any sort of human being."

Very good point. How does a person become conscious of 'right attitude' and then how does a person make good judgments of what they are conscious of?

The answer is understanding CT (Critical Thinking). Our schools and colleges are now begining to teach CT but that does not answer the prblem for adults with no CT learnin. Those adults must learn Critical Thinking on their own.
A good place to begin CT is: http://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Educ/EducHare.htm
Confused2
Posted: Mar 12 2006, 02:43 PM

Retreating member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

This is not the place to discuss autism .. I simply propose that we accept the existence of people (probably) from within the spectrum of autism who are intelligent but lacking the inherent concept of 'being a human'.. I will call them tabula rasa.

Coberst's proposition seems to be that a narcissistic culture is a sinful culture. I am proposing the culture of the tabula rasa as an alternative. The concept of 'fair play' originates naturally within most humans.. they empathise.. possibly something like "I have hurt this person enough so I will now stop".. the understanding of 'hurt' (another person) and 'enough' is a requirement for 'fair play' to develop. Playing a game without the concept of 'hurt' or 'enough' can be very unpleasant, bear in mind the man who calculates pi and may never stop.

(coberst)
While walking by a store front one day I glanced at my reflection and noted that I walked with a distinct slouch that irritated me.

Coberst reports seeing himself in a mirror .. he identifies the fact that he is slouching and seeks to correct this behaviour.. a matter of pride, one must assume. I draw attention to the importance of the mirror .. and pride.. in this little incident. A tabula rasa will have no pride ( though it may seem so ) and the shape in the mirror will be 'just another shape'.

(coberst)
To change our mental attitude is just the same process [ as looking in the mirror]. First I must become conscious of the problem attitude, then I must will its change, then I must change my habits.

(coberst)
I have discovered that the term ‘narcissism’ has many different definitions.

I certainly feel you (coberst) have embraced one of those definitions. Yaay.. narcissism.. good ole healthy narcisism.. the mirror.. the closest we ever get to seeing ourselves as others see us.

When there are only moving shapes in the mirror..

800 cruise missiles and thousands of one-ton bombs on a captive urban population already suffering the ravages of deliberately imposed hunger and disease.

-C2.

--------------------
Anything completed in less than twenty years is likely to be hurried and unsatisfying.
coberst
Posted: Mar 12 2006, 03:05 PM

Advanced Member

Coberst's proposition seems to be that a narcissistic culture is a sinful culture.

Coberst thinks that our culture is sleep walking through life. We are hooked on self induced narcotics to dull our intellect.
Confused2
Posted: Mar 12 2006, 05:46 PM

Retreating member

Coberst's proposition seems to be that a narcissistic culture is a sinful culture.
Hmm.. the alternative?

Coberst thinks that our culture is sleep walking through life. We are hooked on self induced narcotics to dull our intellect.

The American Dream perhaps.

[http://www.willthomas.net/Convergence/Weekly/Is_Bush_Nuts_The_Sequel.htm]

According to psychiatrists willing to sign their names to their diagnosis, the best bet -besides “all-of-the-above” - is brain damage. Even discounting the effects of cocaine abuse, years of binge drinking is known to destroy neurons and slow the synapses that map reality.

-C2

--------------------

Topic Options

Add reply · Start new topic · Start new poll

Terms of use