Scientific Forums

Pages: (137) « First ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post )

Closed Topic · Start new topic · Start new poll

> 911 WTC - Evidence of an Nuclear explosion?, Your advice & Input Required
MMC
  Posted: Feb 23 2006, 07:19 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 31.25%
Feedback Score: -26

Here we have a new of WTC 6, from this angle we can see exactly how precise those "cuts" to the beams to left really are...and a sense of how this made the structure fall in upon itself through the angle of those beams relative to each other. That's not to mention the rest of the picture.

WTC 6
User posted image

Link to file:
http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtc6normal7rz.jpg

Enhanced View of WTC 6
User posted image

Link to file:
http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtc6enhanced8wg.jpg
Barkley
  Posted: Feb 23 2006, 03:58 PM

Unregistered

This is my first post here after lurking for quite some time now. I apologize for its unwieldy content upfront.

Although I've read most of this thread, I might have missed information pertaining to the use of thermite on key support columns. This could explain the molten steel and >2800F temps measured in some of the basement hot spots even weeks after the collapses. Since only 50% of the WTC towers were actually rented out in recent times, it could be very possible to place thermite charges at critical structural support points in both the unoccupied floors and the basement levels. This is assuming that the impending attacks where expected and there was time to prepare the scene, of course.

From an operational standpoint, access to various points in the WTC complex would be at best, a mere nuisance since the volume of contractors working in the towers and other complex buildings could easily smuggle in material such as thermite in paint cans, for example. We need to remember that there would be such a high volume of contract work being performed in the buildings as tenants were constantly moving in and out over the years that security would not likely examine every shipment brought in by such contractors. I can attest to such lax measures first-hand, as I had previously spent years in the building trades.

The manpower necessary to enact the collapses would be easy if with all of the resulting confusion of evacuations and such. There were so many first responder personnel present that any number of conspirees could have gained access wearing port authority credentials or firemen's equipment. These are the only types of people who would not be questioned upon entering the buildings. I know, a lot of conjecture but we (a collective WE) just need to figure out how it could have been done. That it was executed makes it possible to recreate events with some accuracy.

Does anyone happen to know what floor was shown in the collapse videos in which the windows all blew out? It was not even close to the collapsing floors above which still had windows intact, so overpressure would not be a plausible consideration. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that that particular floor was vacant at that time. I'd love to see the contractor list for the prior two months on that tower but they were probably kept onsite but destroyed in the collapses.

We are asked to be the official account of what happened that day and suspend our disbelief that several buildings could have fallen somewhat neatly within their own footprints from various causes- fire damage being the primary one.

Again, I apologize for the length of this post. unsure.gif
MMC
  Posted: Feb 23 2006, 10:28 PM

Advanced Member

Although I've read most of this thread, I might have missed information pertaining to the use of thermite on key support columns. This could explain the molten steel and >2800F temps measured in some of the basement hot spots even weeks after the collapses. Since only 50% of the WTC towers were actually rented out in recent times, it could be very possible to place thermite charges at critical structural support points in both the unoccupied floors and the basement levels. This is assuming that the impending attacks where expected and there was time to prepare the scene, of course.

Let's look at thermite:

A thermite reaction is normally an aluminothermic reaction, however, other reactant metals can be used although they can be slightly more unstable. It also provides a broader temperature range between its melting point and boiling point. This can push temperatures to over 2500C, if the heat can radiate freely. It takes intense heat to begin the reaction, such as that provided by magnesium and other exothermic reactions.

Some people think that the aluminium from the planes ignited a thermite reaction. This is impossible, a thermite reaction needs a mixture in specific ratios. Its rather like baking, you can't fire the ingredients together at 400 mph and end up with a wedding cake.

So, when this stuff ignites we have chemical fire, a pool of liquid. This property would tend to rule out attaching such a device to a struss from the underside. Instead we would need to drill a hole or create a small pit in the concrete flooring above, so that the gravity would take the burning reactants through the steel.

To get at the central colums, we would need to create bore holes and once again pack it full of chemical reactants.

The problems fall into several catagories:

1. Logistics
To cause wide spread failure of the strusses, without knowing exactly where the plane will impact (novice pilots) that would require drilling holes across numerous floors. Given that the first impact hit the 93rd-98th floors and the second the 78th-84th, then we can see that this would require at least 30 floors to have been prepared, each an acre in size.

How do you get that much thermite into the building undetected?

That's a lot of paint tins, several thousand at least.

2. Nature of Chemical reactions
Timing was a critical factor in the WTC collapse. Every time I watched the WTC collapse, I felt there was something odd about it, but I could not put my finger on it.

Was it to fast, was it to slow? Neither of those answers fitted, then it struck me. It was perfect, it was at a near uniform rate. When an object falls, it accelerates by around 22mph for every second it is falling, not considering drag. The WTC did not accelerate in a normal fashion as it collapsed, that means the 4.5 second difference between gravity and the collapse itself was pretty evenly spaced at between 0.02-0.06 seconds per floor.

Chemical reactions, especially exothermic reactions outside a lab, are extremely difficult to time. External factors such as moisture, dust, heat transfer, etc, all play a role in controlling the rate of the reaction. For the apparant split second timing to cause the pancaking effect, a chemical-based exothermic reaction would be unlikely, it cannot be controlled in that manner.

When the aircraft stikes the building, you risk devices being ignited prematurely, resulting in partial collapses and the elimination of more devices. High explosive such as C4, whilst they will burn, will not usually detonate.

3. Command and Control
There are 3 main methods of ignition:

1. Timers
2. Cabling
3. Radio

Cabling is too bulky to go unnoticed, radio is useless as the signal degrades due to falling rubble leaving undetonated devices. That leaves timers, which add bulk to the device and require a power source. Given the status of the WTC, it is likely the sweeps for bugs were common enough and a power source could show up.

4. Physical factors
With a pool of hot liquid anywhere up to 2500C (4500F), the chances for it to explode the concrete in which it is contained is very high. This would cause the liquid to pour onto the floor below, rather than melt through the steel.

To take out the core, as seen in the diagram below, would require a lot of thermite, next to the central colums, on numerous floor. That requires extensive drilling and tunneling.

It is speculated that the crash resulted in the loss of 20 out of 47 columns in WTC 1 and some 5 out of 47 columns in WTC 2. However, this does not explain the pancaking effect.

user posted image

This is just a brief list of the problems I can see and that alone would be enough for me to consider a alternative stratagy.

I would be asking to get caught using this method.

From an operational standpoint, access to various points in the WTC complex would be at best, a mere nuisance since the volume of contractors working in the towers and other complex buildings could easily smuggle in material such as thermite in paint cans, for example. We need to remember that there would be such a high volume of contract work being performed in the buildings as tenants were constantly moving in and out over the years that security would not likely examine every shipment brought in by such contractors. I can attest to such lax measures first-hand, as I had previously spent years in the building trades.

The manpower necessary to enact the collapses would be easy if with all of the resulting confusion of evacuations and such. There were so many first responder personnel present that any number of conspirees could have gained access wearing port authority credentials or firemen's equipment. These are the only types of people who would not be questioned upon entering the buildings. I know, a lot of conjecture but we (a collective WE) just need to figure out how it could have been done. That it was executed makes it possible to recreate events with some accuracy.

There are two basic scenarios:

1. The devices were planted on the day of the attack.
2. The devices were present some time before the attack.

In both scenarios we are seeking high energy delivery, with a miminal footprint. This makes both installation and detection avoidance easier. We are then looking for isolated locations that provide access to key positions.

Gaining access, even with equipment, is not as difficult as it may seem. Materials can be concealed in all sorts of manners and particularly with uncommon weapon forms may be mistaken for innocent items.

For example, a small oxygen tank may be used for a bit of spot welding, however, it could also be used as an accelerant to deform steel...

There is also a possibility that the railway was used for access/exit. Exiting the building is easy if you are progressing upwards through the building planting devices. You just throw a rope down the express elevator shaft, you'll be out in a matter of minutes, even if you were forced to take a detour due to obstruction.

The difficulty is that there are so many plausible ways of gaining access, especially, on the morning of the incident. This is certainly not the problem area, just the practical limitiations that would provide.

Does anyone happen to know what floor was shown in the collapse videos in which the windows all blew out? It was not even close to the collapsing floors above which still had windows intact, so overpressure would not be a plausible consideration. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that that particular floor was vacant at that time. I'd love to see the contractor list for the prior two months on that tower but they were probably kept onsite but destroyed in the collapses.

We are asked to be the official account of what happened that day and suspend our disbelief that several buildings could have fallen somewhat neatly within their own footprints from various causes- fire damage being the primary one.

Especially when it is not the first time a plane has hit a skyscraper...

July 28, 1945 - Army Air Corps B-25 bomber crashed into the 79th floor of the Empire State Building. Fourteen people died and $1 million damage was done to the building.

user posted image

For more info, follow this link:
http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/9-21-99askeds.html

And when it is supposed to have detroyed this...

User posted image

User posted image
Barkley
  Posted: Feb 23 2006, 10:54 PM

Unregistered

MMC,

Thanks for the in-depth reply. I think that I'm onto something as far as taking advantage of the vacant floors, although I can understand the complexity of a thermite/thermate type reaction.

So, besides the apparent squibs indicated by various videos and pics, that would leave some type of small fusion device necessary to generate the intense heat that could melt structural steel and iron. Portable and relatively safe to handle yet easy and reliable to detonate. To me, it would have to be located solely in the basement area because a sudden release of such intense heat would surely break windows on many floors which would be evident in photographic and video footage. Is there currently anything out there that can generate these temps yet be relatively predictable and stable? If so, how does the fusion process start?

I believe that the premise of foreknowledge of the attacks is valid since there are instances of possible tipoffs or communications interceptions. Immediately, it comes to mind of the FBI informant who actually rented out his apartment to two of the 9/11 hijackers in 2000. FBI informants do not usually retire, if you understand my meaning. There are no public records of interviews with this man after the attacks. Even the 9/11 Commission did not have access to such information (audiotape) as it was supposedly destroyed. How convienient...

I don't mean to throw this thread off of the physics aspect of the events that day but I probably cannot offer any valuable insights on the molecular level. Without getting into personal credentials, I can say that I am geared more towards an operations type analysis. Thanks for your time.
MMC
  Posted: Feb 24 2006, 02:52 AM

Advanced Member

Thanks for the in-depth reply. I think that I'm onto something as far as taking advantage of the vacant floors, although I can understand the complexity of a thermite/thermate type reaction.

You may well be on to something, empty floors would be the logical choice. In saying this, we are assuming that the planes did not strike specific floors to eliminate specific companies. Its unlikely, but a possiblity that cannot be discounted. I looked into this a bit and the companies and their key competitors make for interesting reading, as well as the background info on the WTC itself.

Here is a floor-by-floor diagram with tenant lists for both buildings:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in...owers/north.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in...owers/south.stm

One thing that will stick out, is the different floors that are said to be effected:

93rd-98th - 95th-103rd
78th-84th - 82nd-93rd

According to the BBC diagram we have floors 64-76 available in the North tower and floors 75-77 available in the South tower.

When you put the fact of the oxidation found in Cortland Street, the fact the floors were not rented, the botched demolition of WTC6, the later demolition of WTC7, who could grant access to those floors, who could bypass security, who would benefit financially,...etc..etc..

...then we can see the beginning of a vague trail developing...

So, besides the apparent squibs indicated by various videos and pics, that would leave some type of small fusion device necessary to generate the intense heat that could melt structural steel and iron. Portable and relatively safe to handle yet easy and reliable to detonate. To me, it would have to be located solely in the basement area because a sudden release of such intense heat would surely break windows on many floors which would be evident in photographic and video footage. Is there currently anything out there that can generate these temps yet be relatively predictable and stable? If so, how does the fusion process start?

Actually, I would place the devices somewhere just under where the plane went in, right down to the 15th floor or so...

This would remove a lot of energy from the collapse and allow the building to collapse in a more controlled manner. By blowing out the basement, it would then fall into a self-contained pit.

There are such devices, they normally stem from unwanted systems used during the development of fusion.

See this link for information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29

Plasma temperatures can range between ~0 K to 10^8 K, that's sufficient to take out an area around 30m in diameter. That's around the size of the core and all you would need is at maximum 9 of them to reach the ground, or 6 or 7 ending at floors 15-20.

The instant heat would explode the surrounding concrete, turn the metal to burning jelly and initiate the collapse. This allows each floor to give way in 0.02 seconds and assists in mimicing gravity. The loss of the core also keeps it in it own footprint.

The devices themselves are completely destroyed in the initial event.

I believe that the premise of foreknowledge of the attacks is valid since there are instances of possible tipoffs or communications interceptions.

...and key politicians being warned not to fly...
MMC
  Posted: Feb 24 2006, 07:34 AM

Advanced Member

As for creating a fusor, well I had a search of the web to see what was already available on this. I found something interesting:

Industrial might is not required to build a fusor however, and small demonstration fusors that achieve fusion (but not break-even!) can and have been constructed by amateurs, including high-school students doing science projects. Each electrode is spot-welded from hoops of stainless-steel wire (often welding rod) at right angles.

The fusor's electrode dimensions are not very critical. The outer electrode can range from baseball to beach-ball size (100 to 300 mm diameter), and the inner from ping-pong ball to baseball size (40 to 100 mm diameter). Usually such projects use the high-voltage transformer from a neon sign or x-ray machine, and high voltage rectifier from a hobby shop. Spark plug wires carry the power, with spark plugs or similar ceramic insulators to pass it into the vacuum chamber.

Deuterium is available in lecturer bottles and is not a controlled nuclear material. Neutrons can be detected by measuring induced radioactivity in aluminium, silver or indium foil after moderating the neutrons with wax, water or plastic, or a plastic neutron luminescent material can be used with a photodetector. Advanced and sensitive neutron detectors using boron trifluoride or helium-3 filled tubes are becoming increasingly common.

The major expense is usually the vacuum pump, but a working neutron counter is very hard to find on the surplus market. Note that the voltages are extremely dangerous (exceeding 20,000 volts), and neutron emissions can present a hazard if voltages above 40 kilovolts are used. The X-ray emissions are the greatest radiological hazard associated with the Fusor, and proper steps must be taken to shield X-ray transparent regions such as viewports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnsworth-Hirsch_Fusor

Its not a giant leap from this, to producing vast quantities of heat, even if it can't break-even, given the power available at the WTC, that would really matter.

...so such a device is within the capability of an amateur...however, using it to drop a building, within its own footprint, is not.

I also found this quote:

The biggest differences relate to technical components of the power plant, e.g. the so called "blanket":  This lining of the plasma vessel serves to decelerate the fast neutrons resulting from the fusion process. These transfer their entire kinetic energy to a coolant in the form of heat and also produce tritium as fuel component from lithium.

http://www.innovations-report.com/html/rep...port-54927.html

Again, another technique of limiting neutrons and producing increased levels of tritium...
galacticwarrior
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 07:55 AM

Unregistered

well we still goin on about this still Russia has lost =lost 13 briefcases of nuke payloads these would be enough to do the job but I'm not sure about the fallout and what type of bomb they were made of.
also the whole thing does need all scientists to be aware i dint trust any government all the latest wars like Vietnam an stuff was the body counts and the risk to show others how far they would pursue the enemy with your people behind them.
umm to say America would not use their own people for self interests of the military is a serious joke hell America would nuke Australia if America saw Australia taken over an the chance the enemy who ever had a chance to hit America at all.
never under estimate the military an democratic drive to convince all that it was someone else did this too us same as in physics dont let normal scientific studies be pushed aside as we all know if you pursue it long enough many things taken for granted in science has been rewritten-so go check it all out dont fall under we all know you dont its the beginning of the end of democracy = seriously
MMC
  Posted: Feb 24 2006, 10:34 PM

Advanced Member

The following photos, including some not posted, can be found here in larger form:

http://www.zombietime.com/wtc_9-13-2001/

These photos were taken on the 13th Sept. 2001, two days after the attacks. These pictures give a very good overview of the scale of destruction.

As you will see, the towers were obliterated.

Before 911 (construction phase)

User posted image

After 911....

Overview West
User posted image

Overview East
User posted image

Overview North West
User posted image

Overview North
User posted image

North Tower
User posted image

WTC Site Overview
User posted image

WTC Site West Overview
User posted image

WTC Financial Sector
User posted image

WTC Center
User posted image

WTC 6, WTC 5 and Smoke from Underground Fires
User posted image

Smoke covering the entire site
User posted image

For rereference, here is a picture of a controlled demolition of a skyscaper. Different locations of the devices produce ejections in different places, however, the physical hallmarks are also present at the WTC.

User posted image

Link to file (larger version):
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8454/sk...lleddemo5pu.jpg
reasonwhy
Posted: Feb 25 2006, 05:53 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 50%
Feedback Score: -8

MMC ,
Do you think this weapon could have been used?

Thermobaric weapon

Weapon effects

The blast wave destroys unreinforced buildings and equipment. Unprotected personnel are injured or killed as well. The antipersonnel effect of the blast wave is more severe in foxholes, on personnel with body armor, and in "stiff" enclosed spaces such as caves, buildings, and bunkers.

The overpressure within the detonation can reach 3 MPa (430 lbf/in²) and the temperature can be 2500 to 3000 °C. Outside the cloud the blast wave travels at over 3 km/s. Following the initial blast is a phase in which the pressure drops below atmospheric pressure creating an airflow back to the center of the explosion strong enough to have a human body lifted and thrown. It draws in the unexploded burning fuel to create almost complete penetration of all non-airtight objects within the blast radius, which are then incinerated. Asphyxiation and internal damage can also occur to personnel outside the highest blast effect zone, e.g. in deeper tunnels, as a result of the blast wave, the heat, or the following air draw.

The effects produced by FAEs (a long high duration pressure and heat impulse) are often likened to the effects produced by low-yield nuclear weapons, but without the problems of radiation—although this is inexact; for all current and foreseen subkiloton yield nuclear weapon designs, prompt radiation effects predominate, producing some secondary heating—very little of the nominal yield is actually delivered as blast. The significant injury dealt by either weapon on a targeted population is nonetheless great.

Some fuels used, such as ethylene oxide and propylene oxide, are highly toxic. A device using such fuels is very dangerous even if the fuel fails to ignite; the device then becomes essentially a chemical weapon.

http://www.answers.com/topic/thermobaric-weapon
MMC
  Posted: Feb 25 2006, 06:31 AM

Advanced Member

I found the following photos:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ons/blu-118.htm

BLU-118/B Thermobaric Weapon
User posted image

How it works:
user posted image

Photo's of Testing:

Before...
User posted image

Link to file (large version):
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...8b_pre-shot.jpg

After...
User posted image

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...b_post-shot.jpg

Note how the "after" shot demonstrates a similar suspension of matter to this shot and the fine coating of dust also:

User posted image

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8468/pe...okelevel1vg.jpg

It won't detonate in a fire:

This means that when a munition is in a fire, hit by a fragment, bullet or high velocity projectile or subject to some other hazard the result will not be a detonation or a violent reaction of the explosive and propellant; no more than severe burning will ocur.

Now this is odd:

In October 2001 the Department of Defense accelerated a number of programs being pursued as Advanced Concept Technology Demonstrations (ACTD) that could be used in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. The Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) organized a quick-response team on October 11, 2001, that included Navy, Air Force, Department of Energy and industry experts to identify, test, integrate and field a rapid solution that would enhance weapons options in countering hardened underground targets.

Explosive experts at the Naval Surface Weapons Center, Indian Head, MD, responded with a developmental explosive that provided enhanced internal blast effects.

The Indian Head facility conducted static testing of the fuze to demonstrate reliable initiation of the new explosive. Indian Head experts were called upon to provide the energetic solution, as PBXIH-135 was selected as the thermobaric bomb fill for the Air Force BLU-109 bombs. This new thermobaric bomb, designated as BLU-118/B, was developed within 67 days and subsequently supported Operation Enduring Freedom. Both static and flight tests were then conducted at full-scale tunnel facilities at the Nevada Test Site.

The BLU-118B was successfully tested at the Nevada Test Site on 14 December 2001.

DTRA weaponized and delivered (within 60 days) 10 thermobaric-filled air delivered munitions (BLU-118B) designed to enhance lethality in tunnel environments.

Given the timing and hallmarks, a possibility. I have a slight problem with the blastwave travelling at 3km/s, however, if it is directed into a collapsing structure the size of the WTC, it could be masked.

Its a good choice for the job.

This post has been edited by MMC on Feb 25 2006, 06:38 AM
MMC
  Posted: Feb 25 2006, 07:35 AM

Advanced Member

More on the BLU-118/B:

No one at the Nevada Test Site that day in December understood the ferocity of what they had just done, however, because the evidence wasn't in the test cave. The first hint was on the opposite side of the mountain, where the blast had ripped a steel grate off a ventilation shaft and flung it aside like paper.

The definitive proof, in fact, existed only as computer data, collected by an array of sensors and gauges lining the tunnel from front to back. The blast had thundered deep into the belly, the data showed, and heat and pressure intensified long after an explosion should have died. Most bomb blasts are absorbed by mountains; yet this one had snaked around a horseshoe-shaped curve and launched out the back with enough force to tear a man apart, 1,100 feet from where it began.

The final results took days to calculate, but the conclusion was remarkable and unambiguous: The BLU-118/B was a horrifying success.

http://www.thanhda.com/community/Printpage...18;threadid=726

1,100ft...that's only around 260ft less the WTC, so the BLU-118/B also gives us sufficient range. If detonated at in the basement and perhaps a number in the central colum...it has the potential to kill (dismember) everyone, right to roof level...

Still looking plausible...
reasonwhy
Posted: Feb 26 2006, 01:34 AM

Advanced Member

How about thermite to help cut the columns and supports?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...raplanet+9%2F11
MMC
  Posted: Feb 26 2006, 11:16 AM

Advanced Member

I just got a look at that video:

Video of Liquid metal Before WTC collapse

A hydrocarbon fire is not hot enough to do that to steel, however, we could be seeing aluminium, with a melting point of 660.32°C, dripping out of the crash site...

Using the metal color temperature charts, it would appear to be between 890°C-1080°C. Hydrocarbons in air can reach those temperatures, especially where it has access to open atmosphere, however, it does not eject it vigorously as seen in the footage.

Compare it with this footage:

Video of Thermite Reactions - Melting and Blowing up cars...(really good!)
http://www.yikers.com/video_thermite_destroys_all.html
reasonwhy
Posted: Feb 26 2006, 06:34 PM

Advanced Member

MMC, they started spamming on the other forum when I posted this. What is wrong with the idea?

From what I have read about Thermobaric explosives they would be the demolition tool of choice if you were worried about comparisons to controlled demolition. They have been used by other militaries for years to implode structures. The noise and pressure wave would be much less detectable then high explosives. Computer programs can accurately calculate the blast effects. Thermobaric weapons are only good on soft targets so the bombs could be set of in the elevator shafts to destabilize the core after Termite cut the steel columns and truss supports. The core walls could shield the fireball of the initial blast. The secondary effect would implode the remaining structure. This device can create overpressures equal to a small nuclear weapon accounting for the energy to turn concrete into fine powder without detectable radiation.

“The bomb detonated by al-Qaeda operatives on the Indonesian island of Bali, used the same principles that are behind thermobaric explosives, say scientists with Defense Research and Development Canada. "We just learned about thermobaric explosives in the late '80s when the Soviet Union was disintegrating," said Stephen Murray, head of the threat assessment group at the defense agency's Suffield, Alta., laboratories. "Those weapons later started showing up on the open market."

Video of the building being pulled in:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=75...=9%2F11+footage
MMC
  Posted: Feb 26 2006, 11:46 PM

Advanced Member

MMC, they started spamming on the other forum when I posted this. What is wrong with the idea?

Let's have a look:

From what I have read about Thermobaric explosives they would be the demolition tool of choice if you were worried about comparisons to controlled demolition.

This is pretty much correct, the snaking effect and high pressure can do a lot of damage...

In 2003, United States Marines used a thermobaric version of their Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon, called a Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon - Novel Explosion (SMAW-NE), in the Invasion of Iraq. One team of Marines reported that they had destroyed a large one-story masonry type building with one round from 100 meters. [1] The thermobaric explosive used in this weapon, PBXIH-135 or a variant, was developed at the Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Indian Head Division and had previously been used in BLU-118/B air-dropped bombs against al Qaeda and Taliban forces in Afghanistan in early March, 2002.

The NE round is supposed to be capable of going through a brick wall, but in practice gunners had to fire through a window or make a hole with an anti-tank rocket. Again, from the Marine Corps Gazette:

"Due to the lack of penetrating power of the NE round, we found that our assaultmen had to first fire a dual-purpose rocket in order to create a hole in the wall or building. This blast was immediately followed by an NE round that would incinerate the target or literally level the structure."

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001944.html

The structures mentioned above are quite different from the WTC...and so is the type of device(s) that would be needed at the WTC...namely greater yield and possibly different chemicals.

They have been used by other militaries for years to implode structures. The noise and pressure wave would be much less detectable then high explosives.

These devices do detonate (some forms don't), they are noisy, however, it can be masked when there is a 500,000 tonne building falling down. If the blastwave travels at 3km/s, then it would have left Manhatten within the first second and could be confused with the sound of the falling structure.

Cameras in fixed positions did shake around 6 seconds before the collapse itself. I've seen a video of the South tower plane impact that also shakes another fixed camera. All things being equal, I would say that the camera shake just before the collapse, had about as much force as the that plane impact.

That's some punch...and a delay between detonation and the induced collapse.

The difficult part is keeping that pressure wave under control, so that it does not blow the windows out straight across the building...I know that there are some ejections that appear in perfect sequence and very far from any overpressure effect due to gravity, however, a thermobaric weapon would be more widespread.

In saying that, each floor has an acre of space available and if contained within the core, the overpressure may be limited to around 10 floors or so, as it expands into open space...

With that range, 8-10 devices lower section should do the trick...

Computer programs can accurately calculate the blast effects. Thermobaric weapons are only good on soft targets so the bombs could be set of in the elevator shafts to destabilize the core after Termite cut the steel columns and truss supports.

Thermobaric weapons have deployment options against both soft and hard targets. They can take out a man or flatten a building.

They are quite versatile in resourceful hands.

The core walls could shield the fireball of the initial blast. The secondary effect would implode the remaining structure.

Not likely...I've been brushing up on the architecture... smile.gif

Also unique to the engineering design were its core and elevator system. The twin towers were the first supertall buildings designed without any masonry. Worried that the intense air pressure created by the buildings' high speed elevators might buckle conventional shafts, engineers designed a solution using a drywall system fixed to the reinforced steel core.

The 208-foot wide facade is, in effect, a prefabricated steel lattice, with columns on 39-inch centers acting as wind bracing to resist all overturning forces; the central core takes only the gravity loads of the building. A very light, economical structure results by keeping the wind bracing in the most efficient place, the outside surface of the building, thus not transferring the forces through the floor membrane to the core, as in most curtain-wall structures. Office spaces will have no interior columns. In the upper floors there is as much as 40,000 square feet of office space per floor. The floor construction is of prefabricated trussed steel, only 33 inches in depth, that spans the full 60 feet to the core, and also acts as a diaphragm to stiffen the outside wall against lateral buckling forces from wind-load pressures."

http://www.civil.usyd.edu.au/latest/wtc.php

However, we have now gained access to the entire central core, minimising loss of explosive force and maximising shockwave and thermal delivery to the steel framework.

We also have identified that the central core as an area where intense air pressure was a problem, leading to the conclusion that the design by OTIS to have local and express elevators corrected the problem...using explosives we could join all those shafts and introduce the pressure problem...

If we then induce the collapse, fire a thermobaric weapon in the mid section of the building, we can vapourise the top section as it falls and then make the building blow up, from the central core, progressing down the building. The oxygen depletion not only concaves the building, but pulls the entire atmosphere and dust (as seen on video) towards the building.

The oxygen depletion makes it look like a gravity collapse because it is arresting ejected matter and dragging it back into the building. It would mimic a gravity collapse by masking the energy level of the associated dust.

The aftermath and rapid expansion of the dust cloud to fill Manhatten would be the giveaway...it would be too energetic for the event.

This device can create overpressures equal to a small nuclear weapon accounting for the energy to turn concrete into fine powder without detectable radiation.

Devices generally produce around 30-40 times atmospheric pressure (3.04MPa - 4.053MPa), are dependent on the surrounding structure and yield.

“The bomb detonated by al-Qaeda operatives on the Indonesian island of Bali, used the same principles that are behind thermobaric explosives, say scientists with Defense Research and Development Canada. "We just learned about thermobaric explosives in the late '80s when the Soviet Union was disintegrating," said Stephen Murray, head of the threat assessment group at the defense agency's Suffield, Alta., laboratories. "Those weapons later started showing up on the open market."

It doesn't fit with terrorism. This is a precision job, designed to collapse a building within its own footprint and make it look like a gravity collapse.

It would be more effective and straight-forward to topple it...not only do you have the impact of the attacks, but skyscrapers playing dominos and the world-wide impact of that.

We have an unknown 3rd party with vested interest...

"The structure was revolutionary. Its main supports were external, lining the four corners of each tower."
http://www.kerman94.com/WTC-Facts.HTM

Screenshot from video of Burning metal before the collapse at one of the main supports
User posted image

Link to file:
http://img506.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w...thermite8qq.jpg

Link to video:

Topic Options Pages: (137) « First ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... Last »

Closed Topic · Start new topic · Start new poll

Terms of use