Scientific Forums

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

> Help With Air Resistance In Projectile Motion
AC-130U
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 04:00 PM

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

I need some help doing very basic mathematical analysis (what would be expected of a Calculus 1 and current Physics 1 student) for my project about tank projectiles, anything to calculate something about their air resistance/air drag, yet everything I have found has either been too simple (drag not proportional to velocity squared) or way too complex (involving wind tunnel test data, which I don't think I'm collecting anytime soon). Any equations or online ballistic calculation software will do, one of my teachers suggested a spreadsheet which looked promising until I realized that the drag coefficient b was a pre-entered number. I don't have much numerical data about each projectile (basically mass, starting/muzzle velocity, range, diameter). Is there anything that any of you know of that can help me?
Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Andrew
Robittybob1
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 06:10 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

you aren't from North Korea are you?
AC-130U
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 06:50 PM

QUOTE (Robittybob1 @ Apr 14 2012, 06:10 PM)
you aren't from North Korea are you?

LOL nope. I was born and raised in Pennsylvania, and I am currently studying at a community college in Pennsylvania.
Robittybob1
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 07:41 PM

Advanced Member

First problem in the post #1 you say drag is proportional to V^2 but it is more like V^3.
AC-130U
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 10:59 PM

QUOTE (Robittybob1 @ Apr 14 2012, 07:41 PM)
First problem in the post #1 you say drag is proportional to V^2 but it is more like V^3.

Really? Even the calculus teacher and physics teacher did not bring up this possibility. I have entered the realm of the level 100 physics wizards.
Robittybob1
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 01:24 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (AC-130U @ Apr 14 2012, 10:59 PM)
Really? Even the calculus teacher and physics teacher did not bring up this possibility. I have entered the realm of the level 100 physics wizards.

drag is wind resistance is it not? If it is it is prop. to V^3.

Cycling: Uphill and Downhill
www.sportsci.org/jour/9804/dps.htmlby DP Swain - Related articles
Since the power required to overcome air resistance is proportional to the bicycle speed cubed (if there is no wind, and s = v), an exponential increase in power ...

[PPT]
Electric Vehicles
evaosd.fartoomuch.info/physics/physics.ppsFile Format: Microsoft Powerpoint - Quick View
Air Resistance is proportional to the density of the air, the drag coefficient of the ... to overcome air resistance increases with the cube of the vehicles velocity.

Certainly the power to overcome the drag is proportional to the cube of the velocity

Topic Options

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

Terms of use