Scientific Forums

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

> Is The Universe Infinite?
scox55@me.com
Posted: Mar 19 2012, 07:22 PM

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

I'm just a guy with time on my hand due to illness ... So don't laugh or call me stupid but if space is a vacuum then wouldn't it have to be contained or finite?
Robittybob1
Posted: Mar 19 2012, 07:45 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

QUOTE (scox55@me.com @ Mar 19 2012, 07:22 PM)
I'm just a guy with time on my hand due to illness ... So don't laugh or call me stupid but if space is a vacuum then wouldn't it have to be contained or finite?

a vacuum has nothing in it, but the Universe is in space and it has plenty in it, so the space of the universe is not a vacuum.
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Mar 19 2012, 08:04 PM

noblesse oblige / nullius in verba

Positive Feedback: 68.66%
Feedback Score: 166

QUOTE (scox55@me.com @ Mar 19 2012, 03:22 PM)

The "is the universe infinite?" question is more about the "shape" of space than its contents.

The question is, if you travel in one direction for an infinite amount of time, will you ever come to some kind of barrier, loop back to where you started, or keep going on into increasingly empty space?

If space is a "bubble" shape, then it would be impossible to go beyond the bubble's outer limit.

Since we can't even see to the edge of the universe, we will probably have no answer on this for quite a long time.

--------------------
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' "
- Isaac Asimov

Hall of Shame -

"The days of correct spelling are over."
- Whitewolf4869
synthsin75
Posted: Mar 19 2012, 08:28 PM

Ex Nihilo

Positive Feedback: 93.75%
Feedback Score: 22

QUOTE (scox55@me.com @ Mar 19 2012, 01:22 PM)
... if space is a vacuum then wouldn't it have to be contained or finite?

A vacuum is basically minimal pressure, where a hypothetical perfect vacuum would be zero pressure. On earth, we only need a container because atmospheric pressure is so much higher that it will naturally push its way into any lower pressure area, making it impossible to maintain a vacuum. In space there is no significant overall pressure that would require and bounds to maintain a vacuum within.

This post has been edited by synthsin75 on Mar 19 2012, 08:30 PM

--------------------
Any future development must involve changing something which people have never challenged up to the present,
and which will not be shown up by an axiomatic formulation. -P.A.M.Dirac
Whitewolf4869
Posted: Mar 22 2012, 12:29 AM

Advanced Member

So wouldn't the amount of vacuum indicate the amount of mater in some way?

--------------------
Flyingbuttressman
A pillar in the house of GOD
White wolf has spoken!

Topic Options

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

Terms of use