Scientific Forums

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

> The Very First Living Organism, How did it get there?
Steve101
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 07:44 PM

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

Q 1. What is the smallest possible living thing that exists?

Q 2. Does it have DNA?

Q 3. If you were to trace all life back as far as possible, eg. to the first living cell(or whatever it might be) Where did that come from?

This is of course ruling out God throwing stuff into existence. At some point in history Earth was some sort of ball of fire, of which I'm assuming would not be able to contain life of any kind. So where did the first living cell come from? Even a single cell is too complicated for all the pieces to just accidentally "fall" into place surely? And if it came from another planet or similar, then the same can be asked for that.
Robittybob1
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 07:53 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Steve101 @ Jan 31 2012, 07:44 PM)
Q 1. What is the smallest possible living thing that exists?

Q 2. Does it have DNA?

Q 3. If you were to trace all life back as far as possible, eg. to the first living cell(or whatever it might be) Where did that come from?

This is of course ruling out God throwing stuff into existence. At some point in history Earth was some sort of ball of fire, of which I'm assuming would not be able to contain life of any kind. So where did the first living cell come from? Even a single cell is too complicated for all the pieces to just accidentally "fall" into place surely? And if it came from another planet or similar, then the same can be asked for that.

A self replicating RNA - protein loop would practically be alive without a cell structure.

RNA rather than DNA to begin with.

I advocate abiogenesis and think in terms of multiple first cells transferred through space from the incubator planet (Mercury is my pick) 4 billion years ago.
Steve101
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 08:05 PM

So is it possible for an RNA protein loop to just appear? I admit I have no idea of the structure of such a thing. Even if it came from Mercury what process/conditions would allow for its spontanious existence?
Robittybob1
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 08:18 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Steve101 @ Jan 31 2012, 08:05 PM)
So is it possible for an RNA protein loop to just appear? I admit I have no idea of the structure of such a thing. Even if it came from Mercury what process/conditions would allow for its spontaneous existence?

A concentrated brew of chemicals heated cooled energized by the protosun. But the size of the set up is an ocean full of possibilities.

That is why I go for Mercury. Any water and volatile materials were being evaporated off the planet as the protosun heated up.
So that in my estimation causes an increasing concentration of the right chemicals.

You might not have followed the Life on Mercury thread but in there I show that the Early Earth was to diluted and cold for life to have started here.

http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=29842&st=0

It takes a bit of mind-set readjusting to the new hypotheses for they all go against the current overview, but if you go through the thread you will see that all the objections get some sort of an answer.
Steve101
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 08:36 PM

Thanks, I might give it a read over. I'm not scared of new ideas. I dont follow views just because its typical. I tend to go for what makes sense the most, regardless of popularity. wink.gif
Hunkandrew
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 02:33 PM

Group: Members

This topic is quite interesting. i need to read it more on this topic before i post any comment

--------------------
NO SPAM PLEASE

Topic Options

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

Terms of use