Scientific Forums

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

> Difference between windows 32 and 64-bit
young
Posted: Jul 22 2004, 12:47 PM

Unregistered

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between windows 32-bit and windows 64-bit?
Can I install them both or I need a special hardware for 64-bit?
ARtone
Posted: Sep 4 2004, 02:16 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 54.55%
Feedback Score: 2

The simple answer is the memory address availability the two numbers 32 64 are the number of noughts/zero places for each address.

32 bit is 2 raised to the 32nd = 4294967294 possible memory address
while
64 bit is 2 raised to the 64th =18446744073709551616 possible memory addresses

In reality its never quite that simple but thats the overal concept

As for installation check the microsoft web site or contact them I would asume you may need more ram for 64 bit and software that can use 64 bit.

Personly my thinking is why do you want it? many years ago I wanted all the latest technology. I even RENTED a 625 line TV 6 months before the transmission was available just so I could have a fancy ariel on the roof. Watched the snow and test card for ages.

AR

Marc G
Posted: Feb 8 2005, 01:36 PM

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

It's not only related to memory addressing space.
A 64 bit CPU is also capable of doing arithmetic on 64 bit numbers at once which can result in a performance increase in certain applications.
Matt
Posted: Feb 8 2005, 02:11 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 100%
Feedback Score: 1

it's for the new 64 bit processors that AMD and Intel are/have released.

basically a 32 bit processor can accept 32 bits each cycle, while a 64 bit can do well, 64. (I think)

it's basically like the difference between the old 16 bit chips. (the 286) and the 32 bit chip (the 386)

microsoft had to rewrite their software to deal with the 32 bit chips and now they are doing it again to deal with the next leap.

here's a site with some history.

http://www.pcmech.com/show/processors/35/1/
Matt
Posted: Feb 8 2005, 02:19 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 100%
Feedback Score: 1

sorry, to answer your question, (kind of) unless you have a 64 bit processor. (most likely a AMD64 athlon sine the intel chips are just now starting to be available in Japan) there would be no reason for you to install windows 64. though if you did. I would imagine it would see that you only have a 32 bit processor and simply go into 32 mode which is pretty much normal windows xp.
holoman
Posted: Feb 8 2005, 06:08 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 66.67%

HP's new crossbar nanotechnology looks like it will be disruptive
in 5 to 15 years.

Read the technical paper and the nanotechnology really looks great once they get
the technology working a little faster and with more realibility.

Just the beginning so I recommend keeping an eye on this nanotechnology I think
it will change future computing.
the1physicist
Posted: Feb 8 2005, 11:02 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 33.33%
Feedback Score: -1

XP 64 bit will have full use of all 16 registers provided by AMD's (and some of Intel's) CPUs. Therefore, depending on the application, you may see anywhere from no improvement to a 50% increase in performance. Once again, that's application specific, and you won't notice any improvement if you're emulating a 32 bit program (as it was only programmed for 8 registers in the first place). However, I wouldn't switch quite yet as the drivers are few and far between, and sub-optimal at that. I would wait at least until it officially comes out, and depending on the reviews, maybe even longer.

--------------------
*insert profound quote here*
Whiggensty
Posted: Feb 9 2005, 02:20 AM

Unregistered

The newest beta version of W64 jus came out. Is it possible to upgrade the previous w64 beta to the newest version, or will i have to make a clean install?

also, in what areas should the extra 8 registers help out with?
the1physicist
Posted: Feb 9 2005, 03:26 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 33.33%
Feedback Score: -1

In general, the 8 extra registers will help out in the same basic areas where AMD normally wins against Intel. That is, in applications where the code is more parallelizeable.

--------------------
*insert profound quote here*
SubTexel
Posted: Feb 10 2005, 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Whiggensty @ Feb 9 2005, 02:20 AM)
The newest beta version of W64 jus came out. Is it possible to upgrade the previous w64 beta to the newest version, or will i have to make a clean install?

also, in what areas should the extra 8 registers help out with?

You can upgrade to the new beta, However I'd do a clean install. But it's really up to you.

And I am assuming you have a 64 bit processor to actually use this correct? (Meaning the 64 bit Version will not work on a 32bit processor).
adamstuart07
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 07:46 AM

Windows 7 or other operating system come in to version mostly 32 bit and 64 bit ..

every on wanna know what is the basic difference between them..

The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system.

--------------------
NO SPAM PLEASE
mamangalika
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 03:00 PM

win 7 is best 64bit OS

[Moderator: Link deleted.]

This post has been edited by rpenner on Apr 13 2012, 04:26 PM
financing
  Posted: Apr 25 2012, 08:28 PM

You will not be able to get the amount of power running 32 bit applications on a 64 bit system of the X64 processor & other hardware like RAM. You can run the X32 applications is alright on temporary situation, you would want to start getting the X64 versions as fast as you can. Otherwise, there is not any reason to upgrade to X64 versions.
financing
Posted: Apr 27 2012, 10:38 PM

The main differences between the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and the 64-bit versions of Windows Vista relate to memory accessibility, memory management, and enhanced security features. The security features that are available in the 64-bit versions of Windows Vista include the following:

Kernel Patch Protection

Support for hardware-backed Data Execution Protection (DEP)

Mandatory driver signing

Removal of support for 32-bit drivers

Removal of the 16-bit subsystem

Topic Options

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

Terms of use