Scientific Forums

Add reply · Start new topic ·

> BPL - Power Line Internet is bad science and bad business, Full story at http://www.physorg.com/news7074.html
Fraumann
Posted: Oct 7 2005, 08:14 PM

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

http://www.physorg.com/news7074.html

It is really tiring to listen to the BPL hype machine.

Radio energy does not "stick" to power transmission lines and household wiring... It radiates. Feel free to check it out in any Physics book... That"s why it is called Radio Frequency energy...

Regardless of the claims made by commercial interests, BPL (Broadcast over Power Lines) causes extensive radio frequency interference, preventing shortware listening, radio astronomy and amateur radio communications.
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/aud-vid.html

Here is a 19MB movie on the interference it causes:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/06/1...-and-HF-web.mpg

It is also not commercially economically viable:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/10/05/4/?nc=1

Best Regards,
+Roger AC8Q
Sanny Mac
Posted: Apr 16 2006, 11:55 AM

Unregistered

Ham Radio is limited to a vanishingly small group of weirdo’s. It’s time they joined the 21st century and realized the net, in all its various modes, is enjoyed by an enormous number of ordinary people for a wide variety of purposes. It does not require expensive equipment, nor does it require the participants to belong to a priesthood of technocrats with their weird language designed to confuse the ‘outsider’.
The greatest benefit of the ‘net’ is that it allows people to communicate directly with one another with no regard to station, distance, creed or colour and despite the best efforts of Governments it is still reasonably free of political censorship.
In my opinion the net is the greatest liberating force on earth and access should be encouraged by every means possible. If that means that a few immature individuals loose their toy – so be it.
The remark on financial viability demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the commercial world. If it’s not commercial in the long term – it won’t fly.
Archer
Posted: Apr 16 2006, 11:20 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 68.75%
Feedback Score: 7

The idea of using power lines for various forms of radio transmission, it wont work for several reasons, as stated by Fraumann.. and I think this is driven by companies wanting to make money, no matter what the problems it may cause.

Ham Radio is limited to a vanishingly small group of weirdo’s. It’s time they joined the 21st century and realized the net, in all its various modes,

The net can be severely crippled at will by a few govts that actually have that ability, a EMP will take the net offline for who knows how long, groups have proven they have the ability to take down portions of the net at will, you CAN NOT run the net with some back up batteries, you can a short wave set.. while it would seem you have the divine understanding to choose for everyone, what about the folks who dont use the net or shortwave?.. what category do you put those people in? simple logic, the more forms of communication there is WORLD WIDE, the better we all are, although, I am sure Al Gore will agree with you about the net.. after he did make the claim he invented it didn't he! wink.gif

he greatest benefit of the ‘net’ is that it allows people to communicate directly with one another with no regard to station, distance, creed or color and despite the best efforts of Governments it is still reasonably free of political censorship.

Interesting thought.. Short Wave was allowing people and govts. to do that for almost 100 years PRIOR to the net..OPPS..

In my opinion the net is the greatest liberating force on earth and access should be encouraged by every means possible. If that means that a few immature individuals loose their toy – so be it.

Let me make sure I understand you.. as long as you get done what you think is important you dont care what other people gain or lose? not exactly outside the box thinking is it.. what happens when some other group thinks your net is lame.. and takes it form you because they KNOW it's best for you, GET A CLUE..

The greatest liberating force on earth has been the same force that has enslaved millions.. NAKED AGGRESSION! unarmed people who live under a dictator, while they may be enlightened by the net, they will never be freed by it, that is a simple fact to life on this planet, for a idea of what I am speaking to, reference this, google, Tiananmen Square.. though out human history the sword and the gun have always been the real guarantors, and granters of freedom.. not some Sony flat screen in front of someone who is enlightened.

--------------------
kaneda
Posted: Jan 4 2007, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE]Tattoos are mostly merely used to identify idiots. Most times they are not needed as it is self evident. [/QUOTE]

Topic Options

Add reply · Start new topic ·

Terms of use