Scientific Forums

Pages: (5) 1 2 [3] 4 5   ( Go to first unread post )

Closed Topic · Start new topic · Start new poll

> Ice Age Model, for the modirator
brucep
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 10:26 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 88.37%
Feedback Score: 146

QUOTE (soundhertz @ Oct 21 2011, 06:46 PM)
In scientific opinion, no one knows because we are not good enough yet to predict epochal events based on criteria that satisfies both epochal, nothing, or relatively short term events.  All events more than a week out are not accurately predicted statistically.  It is true that what appears to be a warming trend could actually be the harbinger of an ice age, but statistics give us more of an array of likelihoods rather than a single favored outcome.

Vulcanism has not increased; greater population and hence greater reporting has.  Vulcanism appears to be climbing because most events are local.  However, larger scale eruptions that affect regional areas are much more likely to be reported, and so, when you look at the graphs of regional-scale eruptions over at least the last century, it has remained remarkably level.  In fact, between 1990 and 2000 we had statistically fewer regional-scale eruptions.  But if you look only at the graph of the recently reported number of events - mostly local - it incorrectly gives the impression of greater overall vulcanism.  You need to take the greater/better/continually advancing abilities of reporting into mind, as this itself greatly skews results. 

We now believe the magnetic axis not only shifts, it's rarely stable, and has several times flipped poles - sometimes with results we think are related, sometimes with what appears to be no results.  What we are learning more and more is that synergistic combinations of things are prime effectors, but trying to accurately deduce epochal results will take far more time to gauge than a few lifetimes.  It will take an epoch of accurate data to even begin to assume what the next one may hold.  This is why you disbelieve GW when many climatologists don't, and why you believe an ice age is coming, when many climatologists don't.  We don't have enough data to say anything accurately.

What some climatologists have suggested is that there are some similarities between the "Little Ice Age" and now, but this is arguable.  Most climatologists do not consider it a true Ice Age, merely a 300 year cold spell, and a few scientists believe that the ice retreats we are seeing is simply the reverting back, or a default back to the previous conditions before the 'LIA' happened.

What you failed to mention however, may be the most accurate indicator of all: The motion of the Gulf Stream.  This is the big engine that drives water and air temperatures over large areas.  It is in the trends of this weighty effector that clearer prognoses may be deciphered.

Good post. What the 'banished one' doesn't realize is when he calls Al Gore discourse on GW bs he's calling the scientific literature bs. Anybody who does that is a crackpot in my book. This is worth saying. For ~30 years Senator Al Gore tried to bring this evolving literature to those who pretend to lead us. He was the goofy environmentalist Senator from Tennessee. IMO if he hadn't been ripped off in Florida the World, and especially Americans, would be much better off now.

This post has been edited by brucep on Oct 21 2011, 10:37 PM
Send PM ·
soundhertz
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 11:13 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 91.3%
Feedback Score: 120

Earth’s Magnetic Field

As per the most established theory it is due to the rotation of the earth where by the various charged ions present in the molten state in the core of the earth rotate and constitute a current.

(1) The magnetic field of earth is similar to one which would be obtained if a huge magnet is assumed to be buried deep inside the earth at it's centre.

(2) The axis of rotation of earth is called geographic axis and the points where it cuts the surface of earth are called geographical poles (Ng, Sg). The circle on the earth's surface perpendicular to the geographic axis is called equator.

(3) A vertical plane passing through the geographical axis is called geographical meridian.   

(4) The axis of the huge magnet assumed to be lying inside the earth is called magnetic axis of the earth. The points where the magnetic axis cuts the surface of earth are called magnetic poles. The circle on the earth's surface perpendicular to the magnetic axis is called magnetic equator.

(5) Magnetic axis and Geographic axis don't coincide but they makes an angle of 17.5° with each other.

(6) Magnetic equator divides the earth into two hemispheres. The hemisphere containing south polarity of earth's magnetism is called northern hemisphere while the other, the southern hemisphere.

(7) The magnetic field of earth is not constant and changes irregularly from place to place on the surface of the earth and even at a given place in varies with time too.

(8) Direction of earth's magnetic field is from S (geographical south) to N (Geographical north).
Q: What is the polar shift theory? Is it true that the earth’s crust does a 180-degree rotation around the core in a matter of days if not hours?
A: A reversal in the rotation of Earth is impossible. There are slow movements of the continents (for example Antarctica was near the equator hundreds of millions of years ago), but that is irrelevant to claims of reversal of the rotational poles. However, many of the disaster websites pull a bait-and-shift to fool people. They claim a relationship between the rotation and the magnetic polarity of Earth, which does change irregularly, with a magnetic reversal taking place every 400,000 years on average. As far as we know, such a magnetic reversal doesn’t cause any harm to life on Earth. A magnetic reversal is very unlikely to happen in the next few millennia, anyway.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

Magnetic North is heading rather briskly to Siberia btw.

There is some - not too much - but some discussion over whether the Pole fluctuations affect weather. Officially, based on current knowledge, the answer is no, at least we can say that there is likely some effect, but not one that affects what we see: perhaps a subtle change in cloudiness or other minutia, but nothing of large impact.

I think if there was good data of the Gulf Stream, the ENSO, the Arctic Oscillation and the NAO trends/ anomalous-causing conditions , that would be a reasonable direction to search to possibly determine when the next regional-scale cold period materializes. I do think studies on the effect of such great influx of fresh cold water into the Gulf Stream these past few years is of great imperative. imho an Ice Age knocking on the doorstep is unrealistic, as there are too many hindering factors that remain. A cold era of a relatively short but unspecified number of years for the British Isles and some additional land South, is not unrealistic speculation.

--------------------
"Time's grey hand won't catch me while the stars shine down;
Untie and unlatch me while the stars shine"
soundhertz
Posted: Oct 22 2011, 05:25 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 91.3%
Feedback Score: 120

And what exactly did you want, everyone to agree with your conjecture? I gave you a critique. I even gave some credence to your queries. I have also wondered if a cold era is coming. But not an "Ice Age", based on data. All these things are looked at by scientists every day, in detail that you would not even grasp. Go to NOAA - it's a big site with lots of info and new products made available to scientists, hobbyists, and the general public every day.

You need to realize that there are professionals who are way past you on this, who are very keen to every aspect you have noted, who understand them to a greater degree of intimacy than you, me, or anyone else here. Why do you people always think you have a line on something unknown to all the world but you? The more scientific your mind can become in it's critical thinking, the less and less you will think you are any kind of messiah, guru, or oracle. And the less you will respond like a hurt puppy.

--------------------
"Time's grey hand won't catch me while the stars shine down;
Untie and unlatch me while the stars shine"
brucep
Posted: Oct 22 2011, 07:01 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 88.37%
Feedback Score: 146

QUOTE (soundhertz @ Oct 22 2011, 05:25 PM)
And what exactly did you want, everyone to agree with your conjecture? I gave you a critique. I even gave some credence to your queries. I have also wondered if a cold era is coming. But not an "Ice Age", based on data. All these things are looked at by scientists every day, in detail that you would not even grasp. Go to NOAA - it's a big site with lots of info and new products made available to scientists, hobbyists, and the general public every day.

You need to realize that there are professionals who are way past you on this, who are very keen to every aspect you have noted, who understand them to a greater degree of intimacy than you, me, or anyone else here. Why do you people always think you have a line on something unknown to all the world but you? The more scientific your mind can become in it's critical thinking, the less and less you will think you are any kind of messiah, guru, or oracle. And the less you will respond like a hurt puppy.

He's trolling this site. This probably isn't the first time. He doesn't have a paper that can be reviewed. If he was serious he would have submitted some literature for review. Making a list and proclaiming it's 'truth beyond question' stamps crackpot on his forehead.
Send PM ·
Posted: Nov 1 2011, 07:31 PM

Unregistered

A fụcking mor0n is what he is. dry.gif
AlexG
Posted: Nov 4 2011, 04:33 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 73.91%
Feedback Score: 108

Not just a crank, but a nutjob as well.

--------------------
Its the way nature is!
If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
To another universe, where the rules are simpler
Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
Prof Richard Fyenman (1979) .....

God does not roll dice with the Universe" - A. Einstein

"God not only plays dice with the Universe, He rolls them where you can't see" - N. Bohr

Robittybob1
Posted: Nov 4 2011, 08:15 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

AlexG - Do you have some idea what Rubberballs is on about? It seems a bit like "the End is Nigh!" type warning. What I think someone needs to do is to not just say it is rubbish but to show it. Can you help me through this mess?
Robittybob1
Posted: Nov 7 2011, 08:56 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rubberball @ Nov 7 2011, 08:43 AM)
You don't even have the guts to face the questions.

The amount of real research is clear. the precession is caused not by the sun nor moon. the old men of science, Einstein set forth the most comprehensible version of effects of precession.
All of the prescribed mentions of eintien are met. If you have the time to do the real work like i have done.

do you really think Alex G has anything worthwhile to input?

I lay the foundations, and even subject you to the cause. you can not understand.

it is mass plus movement alone that can cause these great effect i claim.

Indonesia not at rest. violent eruptions in both Indonesia, and ice land will occur in the time frame represented, with accuracy to its orbital position to the earth , and the galactic electric field of play.

answer the questions, or just stand bye and spectate, and don't post at all. quack.

it will quack like a duck like i had said.

You are on the scales and you are being tested for purity. Will you be found wanting, short changed and deficient? Do you think you can cheat me?
Show me your money!
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 01:32 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (freaking nutjob # 67021)
I lay the foundations, and even subject you to the cause. you can not understand.

it is mass plus movement alone that can cause these great effect i claim.

Indonesia not at rest. violent eruptions in both Indonesia, and ice land will occur in the time frame represented, with accuracy to its orbital position to the earth , and the galactic electric field of play.

Another illiterate with all the answers... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Robittybob1
Posted: Dec 17 2011, 06:31 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rubberball @ Dec 17 2011, 06:29 PM)
17 December 2011 Last updated at 12:19 ET