Scientific Forums

Pages: (236) « First ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post )

Closed TopicStart new topicStart new poll

> Life First Started On Planet Mercury?, Looking for biological evidence support
Robittybob1
Posted: May 23 2012, 10:29 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

QUOTE (flyingbuttressman @ May 23 2012, 09:09 PM)
OK, take your time and read this slowly:

Go screw yourself with a fork.

"Statistically insignificant" means that the amount is so small that it can't and shouldn't be used in ANY kind of trend projection.
Why is that so hard to understand?

In the article it doesn't show what sort of statistics have been applied to the data. So it is still possible it was said loosely as insignificant rather than mathematically insignificant.

FYI, the Earth's core isn't cooling by any significant degree.

See you have used the significant word again! Is it cooling or heating? But I was told it is cooling by around 100 degrees every billion years, so it is cooling and therefore I suspect it to be contracting.

The Earth is still a couple billion years away from geological shutdown. Thus, it wouldn't be expected to contract from cooling until long after the crust becomes geologically inactive (i.e. no volcanoes, earthquakes or geothermal hotspots).

Aren't you contradicting yourself/ Yesterday you were telling us the Earth was once completely molten, but now you'd have to go down quite a long way to get to molten material. So that too sounds like cooling has set in under your scenario. But mind you I see the whole situation differently.

Go screw yourself with a fork and knife

AlexG
Posted: May 23 2012, 11:00 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 73.91%
Feedback Score: 108

QUOTE (Robittybob1 @ May 23 2012, 02:55 PM)
I believe there is photographic evidence of features that could be attributed to contraction on Mercury and Mars. If I get a chance I'll try find them.
Are you just testing me or don't you believe it has happened?

"Testing you" would be futile. You fail every time.

And yes, I don't believe contraction due to cooling of either Mercury or Mars has ever taken place, and you are simply spewing out your anus.

Truthfully, I don't believe there is any merit in anything you've posted since you first appeared.

--------------------
Its the way nature is!
If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
To another universe, where the rules are simpler
Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
Prof Richard Fyenman (1979) .....

God does not roll dice with the Universe" - A. Einstein

"God not only plays dice with the Universe, He rolls them where you can't see" - N. Bohr

flyingbuttressman
Posted: May 23 2012, 11:16 PM

noblesse oblige / nullius in verba

Positive Feedback: 68.66%
Feedback Score: 166

QUOTE (AlexG @ May 23 2012, 07:00 PM)
Truthfully, I don't believe there is any merit in anything you've posted since you first appeared.

Amen.

--------------------
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' "
- Isaac Asimov

Hall of Shame -

"The days of correct spelling are over."
- Whitewolf4869
Robittybob1
Posted: May 23 2012, 11:51 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (AlexG @ May 23 2012, 11:00 PM)
"Testing you" would be futile.  You fail every time.

And yes, I don't believe contraction due to cooling of either Mercury or Mars has ever taken place...

Well I'm sure I've seen a recent photo showing signs of contraction on Mars. How do you find a photo?

http://www.space.com/418-marsquakes-red-planet-rumble.html

On Mars today, there do not appear to be any obviously disconnected surface plates. But scientists don't know exactly how Mars is constructed. Like Earth, it has a core that is mostly iron and, according to a study in 2003, at least partly molten. That suggests the red planet has not fully cooled following its formation about 4.5 billion years ago, researchers say.

Volcanoes on Mars appear to be dormant, but scientists aren't sure about that, either.

Theorists expect the gradual cooling of Mars would have slowed tectonic activity over the past 3.5 billion years. Yet some think there could still be dozens of temblors a year with a magnitude of 3.5 or greater.

On the Moon there is evidence for contraction:

"New Images Show Recent Geologic Activity on the Moon"
http://airandspace.si.edu/events/pressroom...m?releaseID=278

In August 2010, the team reported the discovery of lobate scarps in the lunar crust using LROC images. They propose that these scarps indicate the moon shrank globally in the geologically recent past and might still be shrinking today. The team saw the scarps widely distributed across the moon and concluded that it was shrinking as its interior slowly cooled. The new images of graben therefore present a contradictionóregions of the lunar crust that are being pulled apart as the moon shrinks.

"Chapter 7
Earth and the Terrestrial Worlds"

Did Mercury shrink?
Steep long cliffs formed when the core
cooled, shrinking the planet by ~20 km.
Mercury is now geologically dead.

This post has been edited by Robittybob1 on May 24 2012, 12:14 AM
Beer w/Straw
Posted: May 24 2012, 01:24 AM

Advansed Member

Positive Feedback: 67.65%
Feedback Score: 146

Have you seen any work you have done publicized?

It seems you are not convincing anyone here. I can't even tell if you've convinced yourself since the work your are at is being postponed indefinitely. If you came here only to entertain opposition to your idea without even being sure of it yourself, you've achieved nothing but self reproach in the long run if you're lucky. Neurosis and discontent if not.

--------------------
Transcendental Ignorance!
Robittybob1
Posted: May 24 2012, 03:16 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Beer w/Straw @ May 24 2012, 01:24 AM)
Have you seen any work you have done publicized?

It seems you are not convincing anyone here. I can't even tell if you've convinced yourself since the work your are at is being postponed indefinitely. If you came here only to entertain opposition to your idea without even being sure of it yourself, you've achieved nothing but self reproach in the long run if you're lucky. Neurosis and discontent if not.

This thread is the research behind the idea that life first started on Mercury. I was hoping to find some residual biological evidence for it. I would say only Soundhertz comes close to being interested in biology, as the forum seems to be hung up on discussions on time and relativity.

BruceP was the first to challenge me to write it up as a paper when he said "put your money where your mouth is", or something like that.

I don't really need to convince anyone here. As long as they continually pick out the weak spots and I can find answers for them I feel as if the idea is becoming more entrenched in my head. I believe it as it fits the evidence better than the current knowledge. So there will be a shift toward my view over time. This will happen whether I write it up or not. It is inevitable.

This post has been edited by Robittybob1 on May 24 2012, 03:17 AM
AlexG
Posted: May 24 2012, 04:46 AM

Advanced Member

So there will be a shift toward my view over time. This will happen whether I write it up or not. It is inevitable.

Mentally incontinent.

--------------------
Its the way nature is!

"God not only plays dice with the Universe, He rolls them where you can't see" - N. Bohr

Robittybob1
Posted: May 24 2012, 07:15 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (AlexG @ May 24 2012, 04:46 AM)

[insult removed]

@Alex - Go back a few posts and there you are saying you didn't know about the contraction of the planets and moons due to cooling. I found the evidence without much difficulty or dispute that Mercury, Mars and the Moon have shrunk, so I ask why hasn't the Earth?
You have shown your ignorance and that you are a hopeless case for you haven't got the courtesy to discuss what I had found for you.

This post has been edited by Robittybob1 on May 24 2012, 07:44 AM
Beer w/Straw
Posted: May 24 2012, 12:05 PM

Advansed Member

Then intentionally write a Sci-Fi book.

--------------------
Robittybob1
Posted: May 24 2012, 04:12 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Beer w/Straw @ May 24 2012, 12:05 PM)
Then intentionally write a Sci-Fi book.

Do you think you could do it? It sounds rather a drastic step, to go from a simple idea to a sci-fi book. I'm not up to it.
Beer w/Straw
Posted: May 24 2012, 04:37 PM

Advansed Member

QUOTE (Robittybob1 @ May 24 2012, 04:12 PM)
Do you think you could do it?  It sounds rather a drastic step, to go from a simple idea to a sci-fi book.  I'm not up to it.

Well, it's up to you what you do. Either sublimate your imagination or don't.

I think I've said all that I really want at this point.

--------------------
flyingbuttressman
Posted: May 24 2012, 05:22 PM

noblesse oblige / nullius in verba

Positive Feedback: 68.66%
Feedback Score: 166

QUOTE (Robittybob1 @ May 24 2012, 12:12 PM)
Do you think you could do it? It sounds rather a drastic step, to go from a simple idea to a sci-fi book. I'm not up to it.

It's tragic that you think writing a book of fiction is harder than coming up with a comprehensive theory on solar system formation.

--------------------
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' "
- Isaac Asimov

Hall of Shame -

"The days of correct spelling are over."
- Whitewolf4869
Robittybob1
Posted: May 24 2012, 07:22 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (flyingbuttressman @ May 24 2012, 05:22 PM)
It's tragic that you think writing a book of fiction is harder than coming up with a comprehensive theory on solar system formation.

This thread is the book in itself the hero The Mad professor Robittybob1 fighting off the wicked AlexG Force. His half hearted assistants Beer w/straw and flyingbuttressman caught in between.
The Devils Granouille and Lady Elizabeth sidelined he struggles on to get readership and acceptance for his comprehensive theory on solar system formation.

[PS 300 views on a quite day - not to bad]

This post has been edited by Robittybob1 on May 24 2012, 07:42 PM
AlexG
Posted: May 24 2012, 07:26 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Robittybob1 @ May 24 2012, 02:15 AM)
@Alex - Go back a few posts and there you are saying you didn't know about the contraction of the planets and moons due to cooling. I found the evidence without much difficulty or dispute that Mercury, Mars and the Moon have shrunk, so I ask why hasn't the Earth?
You have shown your ignorance and that you are a hopeless case for you haven't got the courtesy to discuss what I had found for you.

You have found no evidence of anything. You have found speculation based on geological features, features which indicate geologic activity. And you totally ignore anything in these press releases which might contradict you.

As I said, mentally incontinent.

--------------------
Its the way nature is!

Robittybob1
Posted: May 24 2012, 07:32 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Beer w/Straw @ May 24 2012, 04:37 PM)
Well, it's up to you what you do. Either sublimate your imagination or don't.

I think I've said all that I really want at this point.

@beer w/straw I looked up the phrase
sublimate your imagination
in Google and it hasn't appear before.
Looking at the meaning of sublimate there was it's use in psychology meaning
b. To divert the energy associated with (an unacceptable impulse or drive) into a personally and socially acceptable activity.

So you are saying turn this activity into something socially acceptable.

Topic Options Pages: (236) « First ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... Last »

Closed Topic Start new topicStart new poll

Terms of use