Scientific Forums

Pages: (236) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post )

Closed TopicStart new topicStart new poll

> Life First Started On Planet Mercury?, Looking for biological evidence support
Robittybob1
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 08:10 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

Early Mercury would have been a better incubator planet than Earth.

Has anyone ever thought the same?
Robittybob1
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 06:20 PM

Advanced Member

Notice Mercury has oxygen , water and methane, even now, so early on it could have had them in abundance.
"Any ancient life on Mercury would have faced many extinction events. Here on Earth many past life forms have been destroyed by asteroid impacts. The dinosaurs are a classic example. Images of Mercuryís surface returned by the Mariner 10 and MESSENGER spacecraft have shown that the surface has suffered many large impacts. In fact, it was heavily bombarded during the Late Heavy Bombardment that occurred about 3.9 billion years ago. Any one of those impacts could have destroyed any life on the planet. Many scientists believe that a great deal of the planetís surface was stripped away by one impact. If the impact removed a large portion of the surface, surely it would have taken any life that existed at the time with it."

A transfer of of living cells/spores could have happened 3.9 billion years ago. Doesn't that time coincide fairly well with life first being noticed on Earth?
Robittybob1
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 12:01 AM

Advanced Member

They should send a space probe back to Mercury and land it on the ice in a crater and analyse the sample for life (organic molecules?).
If they found DNA or RNA or Protein I would say that proves life started off on Mercury.

You might think all that would prove is life is capable of existing in very extreme environments and it would prove that life exists on other planets.
Could I disprove that all the planets formed at the same time?

Well the Gas Giant planets formed after the Solar Wind blew the volatile material out there.
You can see the Asteroid Belt was in the process of planet building and was interrupted (I suspect by the solar wind).
And even if the the other 4 planets formed at the same time during the protosun period you would have to agree the radiant pressure on the material nearest Mercury would be the highest compared to the rest, so Mercury warmed up earlier and had more intense light radiation to start off processes like photosynthesis.
Previously (weeks back now) looking through the Hubble images (Nebulae Section) I did see a star with multiple concentric bands of dust around it about to form multiple torus' (planet formation occurring?) but whether it will finish the job we will never know.
Because I have now seen this imagine I can't insist the planets in our solar system definitely formed in a series.
Robittybob1
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 02:12 AM

Advanced Member

Is there any features of life today that might suggest it was of extra-terrestrial origin?
Do you think there is any reason only 4 nucleic acid bases are used?

I looking for some feature that might suggest life started off on Mercury. Any help most welcome.
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 04:15 AM

noblesse oblige / nullius in verba

Positive Feedback: 68.66%
Feedback Score: 166

QUOTE (Robittybob1 @ Oct 15 2011, 10:12 PM)
I looking for some feature that might suggest life started off on Mercury. Any help most welcome.

You're an idiot.
Does that help?
Robittybob1
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 07:45 AM

Advanced Member

Calling me names is definitely going to help resolve the science question put forward.
Robittybob1
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 11:31 AM

Advanced Member

I have put the idea that life started on Mercury on the PhysForum and it hasn't received a hot reception, but they tell me what it is like now but can't comprehend that all the development from molecules to replicating molecules to single celled organisms happened during the Proto-Sun stage.
With Pan Spermia single celled spores could have been what was transferred via space (meteorites and comets originating from Mercury).
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 01:02 PM

Mercury's core has a higher iron content than that of any other major planet in the Solar System, and several theories have been proposed to explain this. The most widely accepted theory is that Mercury originally had a metal-silicate ratio similar to common chondrite meteorites, thought to be typical of the Solar System's rocky matter, and a mass approximately 2.25 times its current mass. Early in the Solar Systemís history, Mercury may have been struck by a planetesimal of approximately 1/6 that mass and several hundred kilometers across. The impact would have stripped away much of the original crust and mantle, leaving the core behind as a relatively major component. A similar process, known as the giant impact hypothesis, has been proposed to explain the formation of Earthís Moon.

Alternatively, Mercury may have formed from the solar nebula before the Sun's energy output had stabilized. The planet would initially have had twice its present mass, but as the protosun contracted, temperatures near Mercury could have been between 2,500 and 3,500 K (Celsius equivalents about 273 degrees less), and possibly even as high as 10,000 K. Much of Mercuryís surface rock could have been vaporized at such temperatures, forming an atmosphere of "rock vapor" which could have been carried away by the solar wind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(planet)

Mercury was never cool.

This post has been edited by flyingbuttressman on Oct 16 2011, 01:02 PM
Capracus
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 05:16 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 75.56%
Feedback Score: 41

QUOTE (Robittybob1 @ Oct 16 2011, 11:31 AM)
I have put the idea that life started on Mercury on the PhysForum and it hasn't received a hot reception, but they tell me what it is like now but can't comprehend that all the development from molecules to replicating molecules to single celled organisms happened during the Proto-Sun stage.
With Pan Spermia single celled spores could have been what was transferred via space (meteorites and comets originating from Mercury).

You may want to revise your terminology. Panspermia deals with cosmic ejecta. Pan Spermia deals with ejecta you might have occasion to swallow.
Robittybob1
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 05:27 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Capracus @ Oct 16 2011, 05:16 PM)
You may want to revise your terminology. Panspermia deals with cosmic ejecta. Pan Spermia deals with ejecta you might have occasion to swallow.

Well you can do whatever you want in the privacy of your own home (within lawful bounds).

Thanks for the spelling correction. .. at least someone is reading the thread.

What about some important insight that would eliminate Mercury as the source of the spermia?

This post has been edited by Robittybob1 on Oct 16 2011, 05:28 PM
Capracus
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 05:35 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 75.56%
Feedback Score: 41

QUOTE (Robittybob1 @ Oct 16 2011, 05:27 PM)
Well you can do whatever you want in the privacy of your own home (within lawful bounds).

Thanks for the spelling correction. ..  at least someone is reading the thread.

What about some important insight that would eliminate Mercury as the source of the spermia?

The lack of evidence that a mouth or hand of sufficient size existed at that point in the evolutionary history of our solar system.
Robittybob1
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 06:07 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Capracus @ Oct 16 2011, 05:35 PM)
The lack of evidence that a mouth or hand of sufficient size existed at that point in the evolutionary history of our solar system.

What about the "Hand of God"? Could there be some angel that will do the job for you?
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Robittybob1 @ Oct 16 2011, 02:07 PM)
What about the "Hand of God"? Could there be some angel that will do the job for you?

Are there any female angels?
Robittybob1
Posted: Oct 16 2011, 06:52 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (flyingbuttressman @ Oct 16 2011, 06:35 PM)
Are there any female angels?

Are you fussy? Yes in fact there are but unfortunately they don't get involved in sex as far as I know. Well not the ones I have met so far.
Robittybob1
Posted: Oct 17 2011, 07:21 AM

Advanced Member

flyingbuttressman .... a bit of a fallen angel name according to my records!

Topic Options Pages: (236) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Closed Topic Start new topicStart new poll

Terms of use