Scientific Forums

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post )

Add reply · Start new topic · Start new poll

> Colony Collapse Disorder, 2 year research results
soundhertz
Posted: Mar 24 2010, 02:15 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 91.3%
Feedback Score: 120

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id...home_and_afield

With a couple years of ongoing research in, we have data that at least at the outset, indicates that the multiple pesticide theory is the winner. In addition to the dozens of chemicals used, many of them miticides applied to the hive, the synergy between some of these chemicals, and especially some of the chemicals that the parent spray breaks down to, are more damaging yet. CCD is expected to continue at a very damaging rate.

The researchers have several suspicions why the bees looked cleaner than their dwellings. In some cases, detoxifying systems within the bees might have broken down the chemicals, fostering their excretion. But an even likelier explanation: The sampling focused primarily on live bees extracted from the hives. These tended to be the queens, brood nurses and adolescents – hive residents that aren’t on the chemical frontlines, foraging in pesticide treated fields. Indeed, the fact that researchers found so few healthy worker bees in many of the hives from which they received samples suggests that sickened foragers probably die before they get home.

In fact, some of the pesticides that were detected in hive materials can disorient bees. Which suggests many foragers that had been unwittingly carrying home such contaminants at last become too confused to find their front door.

--------------------
"Time's grey hand won't catch me while the stars shine down;
Untie and unlatch me while the stars shine"
adoucette
Posted: Mar 24 2010, 03:47 AM

Illegitimi non carborundum

Positive Feedback: 77.59%
Feedback Score: 205

QUOTE (soundhertz @ Mar 23 2010, 09:15 PM)
With a couple years of ongoing research in, we have data that at least at the outset, indicates that the multiple pesticide theory is the winner.

Except these mite killing chemicals have presumably been used to stop CCD.

Which means that it's not likely that they were what started the rash of CCDs.

Arthur

--------------------
"We cannot prove that those are in error who tell us that society has reached a turning point; that we have seen our best days. But so said all before us, and with just as much apparent reason. On what principle is it that, when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"

Thomas B. Macaulay
soundhertz
Posted: Mar 24 2010, 05:18 PM

Advanced Member

Here's an experiment to gauge miticide relationship to CCD
http://www.reeis.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/213332.html

Miticides are used to combat the varroa mite especially, which is a very resilient and constantly self-immunizing organism. Varroa was being combatted long before CCD arose in the present intensity. We first became aware of them in the U.S. in the late 1980's, although they were known in Asia in the 1960's.

Varroa destructor mites are some of the worst enemies of honey bees worldwide. These eight-legged parasites are about the size of a pin head and are copper in color. Female mites cling to adult bees and suck their blood. The parasites then enter a bee brood cell and produce several offspring which, in turn, suck the blood of the developing bee. Left untreated, infested colonies usually die within three to four years.

Varroa mite infestations have become so serious that maintaining bee colonies without chemical treatment is virtually impossible.

http://interests.caes.uga.edu/insectlab/population.html

The main focus is on the combined efforts of several applied miticides/pesticides/herbacides that are killing the hives. It seems the mite itself should be a factor since the bee is being weakened by it.

A n article just out today provides some worrisome info unfortunately.

"Bees in more trouble than ever after bad winter"

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...xSxWQAD9EKRMRG2
This year bees seem to be in bigger trouble than normal after a bad winter, according to an informal survey of commercial bee brokers cited in an internal USDA document. One-third of those surveyed had trouble finding enough hives to pollinate California's blossoming nut trees, which grow the bulk of the world's almonds. A more formal survey will be done in April.
Among all the stresses to bee health, it's the pesticides that are attracting scrutiny now. A study published Friday in the scientific journal PLOS (Public Library of Science) One found about three out of five pollen and wax samples from 23 states had at least one systemic pesticide — a chemical designed to spread throughout all parts of a plant.

EPA officials said they are aware of problems involving pesticides and bees and the agency is "very seriously concerned."
Berenbaum's research shows pesticides are not the only problem. She said multiple viruses also are attacking the bees, making it tough to propose a single solution.

"Things are still heading downhill," she said.

For Browning, one of the country's largest commercial beekeepers, the latest woes have led to a $1 million loss this year.

"It's just hard to get past this," he said, watching as workers cleaned honey from empty wooden hives Monday. "I'm going to rebuild, but I have plenty of friends who aren't going to make it."

--------------------
Leo Poly
  Posted: Mar 30 2010, 02:44 AM

Unregistered

Hey can't someone tag the Bees with a tiny GPS device and see where the bodies end up and maybe that would shine some light as to why the bees don't come back to their hive!
soundhertz
Posted: Apr 1 2010, 05:06 PM

Advanced Member

The honeybee can not live a solitary life. Whether they become disoriented or, sensing death, fly off to die, that is the end. Where they make their last flight to is currently deemed unimportant. Why they do it is of utmost importance.

CCD is not new. Only the name is. Looking back at records, researchers have found this condition arising periodically.
What's surprising is that mysterious declines are nothing new. As far back as 1896, CCD has popped up again and again, only under the monikers: 'fall dwindle' disease, 'May dwindle', 'spring dwindle', 'disappearing disease', and 'autumn collapse'.

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/features/onl...ng-bees?page=14

But the current episode has been unprecedented. One fear is that the next one may then create an untenable situation, at least for a few years. Pollination is crucial to agriculture. But if heavy amounts of pesticides/fungicides/herbicides/miticides are too, we need to find a compromise that works, and fast.

Perhaps one way is to specifically target one aspect of CCD that we have a good handle on, going by the premise that if CCD is the result of several unrelated agents working in conjunction, thereby overwhelming the bee's natural immune system, if we can then knock one of the agents almost completely out of the stew, it may be just enough to allow the bees' natural defenses to hold.

--------------------
huafeihua116
Posted: Apr 11 2010, 01:41 AM

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 100%
Feedback Score: 2

Thanks for your help!

--------------------
[URL=http://www.koobashop.com]Designer Handbags[/URL][URL=http://www.cheap-chanel-shopping.net]Cheap Chanel Online Shopping[/URL]
soundhertz
Posted: May 5 2010, 04:44 AM

Advanced Member

Dave Hackenberg of Hackenberg Apiaries, the Pennsylvania-based commercial beekeeper who first raised the alarm about CCD, said that last year had been the worst yet for bee losses, with 62% of his 2,600 hives dying between May 2009 and April 2010. "It's getting worse," he said.

"Fears for crops as shock figures from America show scale of bee catastrophe

The world may be on the brink of biological disaster after news that a third of US bee colonies did not survive the winter"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010...ehives-collapse

I think the Guardian is a bit hyperbolic with their quotes, but having said that I hope I'm right. Either way, 33.8% nationwide average loss is not good. There are numbers close to that in several fruit/vegetable/nut producing countries.

The exception to the rule in this are the organic bee colonies. They haven't received much mention, but earlier on, it was noticed that the organic hives weren't affected by CCD. An organic hive is in an area that is a large enough organically maintained farm that it's within the bee's adventures.
This would indicate that of the three current suspects in the brew, the pesticide imidacloprid could be playing the biggest role. Fortunately it's the one variable of the three we have control over. We'll see if the experts think it's worth a try to temporarily ban it's use; complicated though that attempt would be.

--------------------
orestis
Posted: May 7 2010, 01:53 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 87.88%
Feedback Score: 56

This isn't getting much press now but come fall it might.

Looked up organic bees. The last article was in 2007.

Any current info?

--------------------
"And those who took so long to learn..."
Send PM ·
soundhertz
Posted: May 8 2010, 03:52 AM

Advanced Member

Here's one; perhaps controversial:
http://www.informationliberation.com/index.php?id=21912

But here's something I had no idea of, and contrary to all that I have read, this outfit says bumblebees are more efficient than honeybees. this isn't spam, as i know nothing about this company, but for pure curiosity:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/Bum...cts-pollinators

One important advantage of bumble bees over honey bees is the absence of a communication system. Honeybees inform each other by means of the so-called bees' dance of the presence of an attractive food source outside the crop in which their pollination activities are required, as a result of which the bees may leave collectively. Bumble bees do not have such a communication system. Should an individual bumble bee find an attractive food source elsewhere, it cannot inform its companions, so that the other bumble bees will continue to work in the crop in which their services are required.

--------------------
soundhertz
Posted: Mar 18 2012, 12:08 AM

Advanced Member

Jump to 2012:

A New Threat to Honey Bees, the Parasitic Phorid Fly Apocephalus borealis

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%...al.pone.0029639

afaik, this is the first paper thal links directly the 'hive abandonment' of the bee and a specific source. This article names this fly as the specific source. Most unfortunately, this fly also attacks bumblebees, heretofore uninvolved in Colony Collapse Disorder, and being used as able substitutes for honeybee pollination.

This is the abstract; I hope it's linkable.

--------------------
soundhertz
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 12:47 AM

Advanced Member

2 Studies Point to Common Pesticide as a Culprit in Declining Bee Colonies

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/science/...udies-find.html

Brand new info.

--------------------
Robittybob1
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 01:40 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

QUOTE (soundhertz @ Mar 30 2012, 12:47 AM)
2 Studies Point to Common Pesticide as a Culprit in Declining Bee Colonies

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/science/...udies-find.html

Brand new info.

Good stuff - so many theories - could bees become extinct?
Robittybob1
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 03:06 AM

Advanced Member

Another informative article on the topic
Pesticides hit queen bee numbers
By Richard Black

Environment correspondent, BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17535769
Whitewolf4869
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 01:17 AM

Advanced Member

Theres a pesticide called Bacillus thuringiensis (BT) that became popular in the early 80s because it was considered to be safe for humans and was used in many cases because of pressure from environmental groups.
It has been found to be extremely toxic to insects such as bees.
BT was used in the forestry industry to control Gipsy moth out breaks.
The other pesticide more commonly used was Seven but was considered dangerous for humans.
I remember when they did aerial spraying using (Seven) people were told to stay indoors.
Thats why (BT) became popular evan though it is more expensive.
I think there evan producing genetically altered plants that contain (BT)
There's a lot of info on the web about (BT)

--------------------
Flyingbuttressman
A pillar in the house of GOD
White wolf has spoken!
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 01:54 AM

Unregistered

Fυcking idiot troll.

There are people who can read and reason and research the *** you post.

Most of those people aren't here to be amused by your drooling. To their credit.

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Add reply · Start new topic · Start new poll

Terms of use