Add reply · Start new topic · Start new poll

> Additional Considerations For Nano-robots, Biological Considerations
Quantum_Conundrum
Posted: Aug 29 2009, 03:14 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 30.43%
Feedback Score: -123

Here I am discussing hypothetical (primarily) medical application nano-robots of approximately the size of a human blood cell(57-101 cubic nanometers). There would also be potentially various industrial uses.

Firstly we must realize that the very existence of life, particularly the CELL, is proof that such a highly complex nano-scale machine is theoretically both plausible and possible to construct. Even at this tiny scale, the cell, depending on what type it is, has locomotion, it has energy supplies, it has "programming" in the form of DNA, it has mitochondria, Ribosomes, the nucleous, transport mechanisms for water and electrons, etc. All of these are analogous in some way to systems we might expect to find in both a microscopic and macroscopic robot.

Now something I began to consider as I thought more and more about the concept of medical nano-robots is the idea that it would be very nice for the nano-robot to get its energy from the biology of the patient, rather than any sort of battery or whatever. While this technically makes them parasitic, they are designed for a very short lifetime and used only for simple diagnostics or specific cell, tissue, and organ repair, or for the killing of invading pathogens(virus, bacteria, cancerous cells, etc.)
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Aug 29 2009, 03:18 AM

noblesse oblige / nullius in verba

Positive Feedback: 68.66%
Feedback Score: 166

This is common knowledge.

--------------------
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' "
- Isaac Asimov

Hall of Shame -

"The days of correct spelling are over."
- Whitewolf4869
Quantum_Conundrum
Posted: Aug 29 2009, 01:50 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (flyingbuttressman @ Aug 28 2009, 10:18 PM)
This is common knowledge.

Yes. I was only part way through writing what I was going to write yesterday.

I will continue today I think.
Capracus
Posted: Jan 22 2012, 02:41 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 75.56%
Feedback Score: 41

Swarming autonomous miniature robots.
Called Kilobots, the quarter-sized bug-like devices scuttle around on three toothpick-like legs, interacting and coordinating their own behavior as a team. A June 2011 Harvard Technical Report demonstrated a collective of 25 machines implementing swarming behaviors such as foraging, formation control, and synchronization.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/...11122112020.htm

Maybe in the future a variation will be the crabbot for manicuring your pubes.
-Fairy-
Posted: Feb 7 2012, 07:38 PM

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

Scary,, i have seen some sci-fi's...

--------------------
**BigFairy owns this forum. The moderators admire her. Let's face it ... who doesn't admire a fat ugly bitch with enough time on her hands to overwhelm virtually every thread with her fantasy life? [uaafanablog]
**Full blown dementia. [Trout]
**Is there any way you can get rid of this racist retard? [RobDegraves]
**Nothing can compare with the indignation and sense of outrage of one who has finally found somebody who occupies an even lower moral ground than himself - and I´m not referring to DaveLush! [Edward 3]
****Oh, how the mighty have fallen. [TheDoc]
Proud former recipient of negative feedback from: BigFairy, Doc_Fairy, Fairy, Fairy1000, Fairy_bot, Fior, Jimmy Dawson, LOL_FAIRY, MY_FAIRY, rpenner_FAIRY
**Fairy is obviously a stunningly pathetic braindead slimetard [Lady Elizabeth/Mullosc/Bivalves et all]
**U FAIL [capracus]
**Fairy-useless disruption. [Grumpy]
****Apocalyptic [procyon]

[Moderator: Poster lacks comprehension, strategy, tactics...banned ] [rpenner]
Quantum_Conundrum
Posted: May 26 2012, 09:13 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Fairy @ Feb 7 2012, 02:38 PM)
Scary,, i  have seen some sci-fi's...

Yes, well, you are probably referring to the Borg, in which case the original designers of the technology went to far and the technology went haywire, producing a largely emotionless parasitic collective cybernetic life form which preys on other civilizations.

I hope that humans are smarter than this, and develop these technologies in a safe and moral manner as they become possible.

We are already doing primitive middle ground steps, as I point out, through GM and also through the Prostate cancer vaccine, which modifies a patients own white blood cells to destroy the cancer, and other approaches.

These are nano tech, but they are not yet the classic sci fi "Feynman's room at the bottom" nano-tech, at least not yet in most fields, and certainly not the self assembling or self replicating kind in most fields.

But chemists and materials scientists are learning to combine materials in ways previously not imagined to create extremely small systems and produce other useful machines; sensors, emitters, various actuators, transistors, etc.

[Moderator: Fixed formatting]
MRSA adapts to antibiotics, but if you could make a nano-particle or a nano-machine that could mechanically grind, pierce, or burn the bacteria, it might not be able to adapt to that at all.

For example, since it was discovered that MRSA doesn't grow on copper plated surfaces, it might be useful to attach a copper atom or copper compound to a normal antibiotic molecule and see if it penetrates the MRSA more efficiently, or provides any other anti-microbial benefits.

Of course, this would require some chemical genius or some form of nano-assembly to make this compound in a quantity large enough to do trials...

This post has been edited by rpenner on Feb 19 2013, 10:04 PM
HEA
Posted: Aug 3 2012, 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Quantum_Conundrum @ May 26 2012, 09:13 PM)

I hope that humans are smarter than this, and develop these technologies in a safe and moral manner as they become possible.

Sorry to bring the news to you... Man as a collective is not "smart" nor "moralic"...

When we live in a large enough society, empaty is exchanged with the hunt for money and power...

For example (it is out of nanotechnology, but draws the line for the humanity behaviour)

U.S (and it's military) is developing "robot" warriors for military use, (no it is not SciFi - they have prototypes and it is no secrets either), the goal for that robot should finally be that it is good enough to kill enemy soldiers on it's own...

Now... why should (wrong) politician and military for example stop there, why not develop nano"bots" if they could, that could gain control of an enemy army and control it... the "right" (if any) military and politician would be forced to do the same...

It is not entirely impossible to control a brain, there is a parasitic organism that takes control of an Ant and makes it a zombie... I guess our brain is more complex... but there is nothing scientist could not do with enogh time...

--------------------
Everything is true until proven otherwhise, no one should be judged because of the truth...
Quantum_Conundrum
Posted: Sep 25 2012, 07:14 PM

Advanced Member

I see nobody has commented on my idea of attaching a copper compound to an existing anti-biotic in hopes of penetrating an otherwise resistant/immune bacteria.

Are you baffled by the simplicity? The genius?

But why no trials?

Surely somebody can figure this out well enough.

This post has been edited by Quantum_Conundrum on Sep 25 2012, 07:14 PM
Lady Elizabeth
Posted: Sep 30 2012, 11:12 AM

Dame of the British Empire.

Positive Feedback: 85.71%
Feedback Score: 5

QUOTE (Quantum_Conundrum @ Sep 25 2012, 07:14 PM)
I see nobody has commented on my idea of attaching a copper compound to an existing anti-biotic in hopes of penetrating an otherwise resistant/immune bacteria.

Are you baffled by the simplicity? The genius?

But why no trials?

Surely somebody can figure this out well enough.

That's 'cause anyone with a brain cell might've chosen a silver ligand, dummköpfe.

smile.gif

--------------------
Hobbies:
Needlecraft
Flower Arranging
Cake Decoration
Mutilating psychotic imbeciles
Hairdressing
Art
Romantic Classical Music

RealityCheck is a terrorist, crybaby and poster of anti-scientific crap.
RealityCheck is the sound of one hand wanking.
bharatbuk
Posted: Nov 20 2012, 11:36 AM

Nanorobotics plays vital role in the the development of efficient robot.It uses nano components and there objects to build the structure of robots.This technology has incredible application in the field of science.
Fiels of application:
1) To cure skin diseases,a cream containing nanorobots are used.
2)A mouthwash full of smart nanomachine could identify and destroy pathogenic bacteria while allowing the harmless flora of the mouth to flourish in a healthy ecosystem.
3)Medical nanodevice could augment immune system by finding and disabling unwanted bacteria and viruses.

Topic Options

Add reply · Start new topic · Start new poll

Terms of use