Scientific Forums

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post )

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

> Why Do People Think That Science Is A Conspiracy?, Do scientists look suspicious?
magpies
Posted: Jun 14 2009, 08:44 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 42.86%
Feedback Score: -80

Did they ever really trust anyone?
tlocity
Posted: Jun 14 2009, 08:50 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 27.12%
Feedback Score: -127

People think science is a conspiracy because science has moved in an irrational direction. Reason and logic is the hallmark of true science. A science of reason and logic is understandable by everyone that cares to learn. Science now look more like black magic with statement about QM or the nature of time.
Grasshopper
Posted: Jun 14 2009, 05:28 PM

Positive Feedback: 78.26%
Feedback Score: 21

QUOTE (flyingbuttressman @ Jun 11 2009, 09:52 PM)
I just finished reading "Finding Darwin's God" by Kennith Miller. He addressed many of the same issues (fear of science) but chalked it up to science's exclusion of god. As an atheist, I didn't agree with some of his conclusions, but overall, it was a great introduction to the field of biology for the average religious layperson.

It is my humble opinion that Ken Miller does a better job of defending evolution than almost anyone.

Witness this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg

Just stomach the opening prayer. It's not that bad. One can be a religious scientist. But watch how Miller tears IDiot theory a new one. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Grasshopper on Jun 14 2009, 05:30 PM
AlexG
Posted: Jun 14 2009, 06:23 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 73.91%
Feedback Score: 108

Reason and logic is the hallmark of true science.

No, the hallmark of true science is the accurate description and prediction of the workings of the physical universe. If those workings do not conform to reason and logic, so much the worse for reason and logic.

--------------------
Its the way nature is!
If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
To another universe, where the rules are simpler
Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
Prof Richard Fyenman (1979) .....

God does not roll dice with the Universe" - A. Einstein

"God not only plays dice with the Universe, He rolls them where you can't see" - N. Bohr

MjolnirPants
Posted: Jun 14 2009, 06:24 PM

Freakishly Large Member

Positive Feedback: 65.14%
Feedback Score: 205

Flyingbuttressman:
QUOTE (tlocity @ Jun 14 2009, 03:50 AM)
People think science is a conspiracy because science has moved in an irrational direction. Reason and logic is the hallmark of true science. A science of reason and logic is understandable by everyone that cares to learn. Science now look more like black magic with statement about QM or the nature of time.

Do you see what I mean? Here's a classic example of a guy in the first group I earlier mentioned. He's so sure of his own infallibility that he calls that human endeavor which most fully embodies the concepts of reason and logic itself unreasonable and illogical.

QUOTE (AlexG)
No, the hallmark of true science is the accurate description and prediction of the workings of the physical universe. If those workings do not conform to reason and logic, so much the worse for reason and logic.

I disagree here, actually. I don't see anything illogical or unreasonable about non-deterministic physics. A "may happen" statement can be just as logical as a "will happen" statement, and a "probably will" statement is just as logical. The fact that a theory is unintuitive doesn't make it illogical. In fact, anything which can be described or modeled mathematically is by it's very nature, logical. Mathematics is, after all, an expression of logic.

This post has been edited by MjolnirPants on Jun 14 2009, 06:28 PM

--------------------
-=Forum Mafia OG=-
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. - William G. Mcadoo
But it's hella fun to try. - Me

I've got a hammer in my pants,
It shoots lightning.
http://bigdumbblog.wordpress.com
AlexG
Posted: Jun 14 2009, 06:29 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 73.91%
Feedback Score: 108

People think science is a conspiracy because most people don't understand science and what science tells them. The only two reasons for this lack of understanding are:

1 People are too ignorant and/or stupid to understand.

or

2 They're not being told.

Most people find 2 to be more palatable.

--------------------
Its the way nature is!
If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
To another universe, where the rules are simpler
Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
Prof Richard Fyenman (1979) .....

God does not roll dice with the Universe" - A. Einstein

"God not only plays dice with the Universe, He rolls them where you can't see" - N. Bohr

buttershug
Posted: Jun 14 2009, 07:53 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 88%
Feedback Score: 146

A characteristic of conspiracies is a certain cohesiveness.

But in science the cohesiveness is not a result of conspiracy. It's a result of a systematic search for accuracy.

--------------------
If you want to keep believing in the Wizard, never look behind the curtain. You will be disappointed.
sporacle
Posted: Jun 16 2009, 06:22 AM

Positive Feedback: 71.43%
Feedback Score: 14

QUOTE (buttershug @ Jun 14 2009, 07:53 PM)
A characteristic of conspiracies is a certain cohesiveness.

But in science the cohesiveness is not a result of conspiracy. It's a result of a systematic search for accuracy.

Yay

The long term, extensive and careful efforts of countless scientists has produced a comprehensive and integrally related model of reality (certainly not complete and there is a lot more to be discovered). Understanding the interrelatedness requires grunt work, and people unwilling or unable to do the hard work may see just enough to think it must be a conspiracy.

The shortsightedness of the "scientist conspiracy" ideas is usually obvious in the lack of awareness of the huge volume of scientific literature. It would be rather difficult to organize a conspiracy among hundreds of thousands of independent scientists laugh.gif

magpies
Posted: Jun 17 2009, 01:07 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 42.86%
Feedback Score: -80

Orrrr it could be that science leads to stuff like the A-bomb, thought control devices aka TV, and biochemical weapon stuff.
buttershug
Posted: Jun 17 2009, 01:57 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 88%
Feedback Score: 146

Which are commissioned by religious type people and used by such.

--------------------
If you want to keep believing in the Wizard, never look behind the curtain. You will be disappointed.
gmilam
Posted: Jun 17 2009, 04:59 AM

This line intentionally left blank

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 81.97%
Feedback Score: 89

QUOTE (magpies @ Jun 16 2009, 08:07 PM)
Orrrr it could be that science leads to stuff like the A-bomb, thought control devices aka TV, and biochemical weapon stuff.

Knowledge is neither good nor evil - it's people that are the problem.

(Oh - and TV's have an "off" button.)

--------------------
"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused." - Elvis Costello
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Jun 17 2009, 01:27 PM

noblesse oblige / nullius in verba

Positive Feedback: 68.66%
Feedback Score: 166

I think the case is that people like magpies are so absurdly confident in their own opinions that they cannot be convinced by petty things like facts, evidence and proof.

Once you have convinced yourself that there's a conspiracy, there is little hope to be taken seriously.

--------------------
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' "
- Isaac Asimov

Hall of Shame -

"The days of correct spelling are over."
- Whitewolf4869
Mekigal
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 07:05 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

There is a conspiracy . I am a conspirator my self . I do it for selfish reasons . So my kids can get a leg up or at least a foot sweep.
I do believe there are more conspirators out there conspiring right now. Warriors of love that conspire are my favorite conspirators. There everywhere . So in the deepest sense Science conspires . To seek what is true and what is false. The information that comes out of it may eliminate a few occupations in the end , but that takes a long time to happen . So I think it is more indirect consequence. Not like science directly sabotaged your business. More of an indirect consequence . It feels like you did it on purpose when it is your job becoming obsolete. Displacement is like that . Think of how the hunter Gatherers of the world feel . Them $##&* agies ruined my hunt !!

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2] 

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

Terms of use