Scientific Forums

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post )

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

> Why Do People Think That Science Is A Conspiracy?, Do scientists look suspicious?
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Jun 11 2009, 02:19 AM

noblesse oblige / nullius in verba

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 68.66%
Feedback Score: 166

Science. It's not political, religious, or a matter of personal sentiment. Why do so many people think that science is out to get them?

--------------------
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' "
- Isaac Asimov

Hall of Shame -

"The days of correct spelling are over."
- Whitewolf4869
Meem
Posted: Jun 11 2009, 02:38 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 38.46%
Feedback Score: -49

Because, just like all those other things in reality, people are often afraid of what they do not understand. Which is why I think it's important to not push people away from understanding when they have a lack of, no matter how troubling it may be, a success is always worth an effort ... otherwise, we might never understand one another.

--------------------
"I would rather be a lucky fool than a deliberate one."
--- Meem ---
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Jun 11 2009, 03:12 AM

Do you think that religion is a major or minor contributing factor?

--------------------
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' "
- Isaac Asimov

Hall of Shame -

- Whitewolf4869
Meem
Posted: Jun 11 2009, 03:24 AM

Advanced Member

Minor, people are the major part-problem of any religion. wink.gif Guns don't pull triggers, people do.

--------------------
--- Meem ---
sporacle
Posted: Jun 11 2009, 05:38 AM

Positive Feedback: 71.43%
Feedback Score: 14

There must be some studies, but I can't locate ones right off that are on the mark. Help us out guys.

Meem said it. And in general people tend to be suspicious of others they believe may know more than they do. If you're sharper than your supervisor and he sees it, getting a promotion may be a problem. Also a default response built into the brain for survival is to be suspicious of anything you don't understand.

The basic problem is ignorance, and there is obviously no shortage of ignorance of science. In the US you can get a bachelors degree without ever taking a science course, much less a lab course for hands on experience.

Without understanding of scientific method, people who do not understand something tend to lock on to info from a source they think has authority.

This post has been edited by sporacle on Jun 11 2009, 05:41 AM
Meem
Posted: Jun 11 2009, 09:39 PM

Advanced Member

Sporacle,

The Paradoxical Commandments
by Dr. Kent M. Keith

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

--------------------
--- Meem ---
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Jun 11 2009, 09:52 PM

I just finished reading "Finding Darwin's God" by Kennith Miller. He addressed many of the same issues (fear of science) but chalked it up to science's exclusion of god. As an atheist, I didn't agree with some of his conclusions, but overall, it was a great introduction to the field of biology for the average religious layperson.

This post has been edited by flyingbuttressman on Jun 11 2009, 09:53 PM

--------------------
- Isaac Asimov

Hall of Shame -

- Whitewolf4869
magpies
Posted: Jun 12 2009, 12:20 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 42.86%
Feedback Score: -80

The reason people think science is a conspiricy might have to do with the fact that scientists governments and anyone with technology trys to keep how it works a secret. Secrets pretty much equal a conspiricy. If your going to tell me they dont try to keep it secret then honestly tell me is there anything people should not be allowed to know how to build? I think the government has an answer to this one as some things explained over the interent can get you into jail fast...
AlexG
Posted: Jun 12 2009, 12:27 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 73.91%
Feedback Score: 108

The reason people think science is a conspiricy might have to do with the fact that scientists governments and anyone with technology trys to keep how it works a secret.

Just because you don't have a clue doesn't mean it's kept secret. It just means you're stupid.

--------------------
Its the way nature is!
If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
To another universe, where the rules are simpler
Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
Prof Richard Fyenman (1979) .....

God does not roll dice with the Universe" - A. Einstein

"God not only plays dice with the Universe, He rolls them where you can't see" - N. Bohr

Meem
Posted: Jun 12 2009, 12:29 AM

Advanced Member

That's because not everyone is ready for the responsibility or, dare I say, has the wisdom on how to use everything science has to offer. It should be guarded.

--------------------
--- Meem ---
magpies
Posted: Jun 12 2009, 12:30 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 42.86%
Feedback Score: -80

Yeah because keeping things secret is brotherly love.
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Jun 12 2009, 12:37 AM

QUOTE (magpies @ Jun 12 2009, 12:20 AM)
The reason people think science is a conspiricy might have to do with the fact that scientists governments and anyone with technology trys to keep how it works a secret.

Obviously they aren't secrets if an idiot like Timothy McVeigh can build a nitrogen fertilizer bomb. Are they really secrets? Or are you too lazy/stupid to learn the facts presented in high school science class? Given the parts, it's not very hard to build WMD's. That's why it's very difficult to buy nitrogen fertilizer, and that's also why we don't make Uranium ore publicly available.

Again, just because you don't want to learn doesn't make knowledge "secret."

Also, you're a piss-poor example of a troll

--------------------
- Isaac Asimov

Hall of Shame -

- Whitewolf4869
flyingbuttressman
Posted: Jun 12 2009, 12:47 AM

QUOTE (magpies @ Jun 12 2009, 12:30 AM)
Yeah because keeping things secret is brotherly love.

One doesn't even need to keep it a secret to keep you away, one just has to write "science" on it and you'll claim that you don't believe in it.

Such a fabulous way of going through life.

--------------------
- Isaac Asimov

Hall of Shame -

- Whitewolf4869
buttershug
Posted: Jun 12 2009, 01:40 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 88%
Feedback Score: 146

QUOTE (magpies @ Jun 12 2009, 12:20 AM)
The reason people think science is a conspiricy might have to do with the fact that scientists governments and anyone with technology trys to keep how it works a secret. Secrets pretty much equal a conspiricy. If your going to tell me they dont try to keep it secret then honestly tell me is there anything people should not be allowed to know how to build? I think the government has an answer to this one as some things explained over the interent can get you into jail fast...

Are you talking about KFC and Coke and Dr. Pepper by any chance?

--------------------
If you want to keep believing in the Wizard, never look behind the curtain. You will be disappointed.
MjolnirPants
Posted: Jun 14 2009, 06:40 AM

Freakishly Large Member

Positive Feedback: 65.14%
Feedback Score: 205

QUOTE (flyingbuttressman @ Jun 11 2009, 07:37 PM)
Given the parts, it's not very hard to build WMD's.

Depends on the WMD, and I wouldn't tend to generalize it as 'easy'.
Biological agents? Easy as pie, if you have an education in biology.
Chemical agents? Nothing a guy with a degree in chemistry can't get around.
Nuclear agents (not including the highly ineffective "dirty bomb")? Damn near impossible for any non-state party. (Look how long it's taken N. Korea to get this far with functionally unlimited funding for their nuclear program.)
The means to deliver these agents effectively? State-backing again required.
So while building some WMD's is easy, deploying them in the field is highly difficult. I don't worry about terrorists spreading Anthrax or Ebola across the US, or detonating nukes in major cities. I worry about Kim Jong Il and his idiotic claims about American aggression and his pursuit of nuclear weapons. I could see that guy nuking Seattle and San Francisco without much imagination.
A;though it's commonly said that any idiot with the right materials and a machine shop could build a nuke, you can look at the development of nuclear weaponry in every nuclear power around today to see how untrue that really is. It takes months or years of design, experimentation and trial-and-error testing to perfect a nuclear weapon, and that's for a well funded government. I think mostly it's just rhetoric meant to scare people to keep them in awe of nuclear devices in a day when every third summer movie contains a nuclear explosion.

Science. It's not political, religious, or a matter of personal sentiment. Why do so many people think that science is out to get them?

This is an easy one, actually. In the case of one group, it's because they think they know things about science, and they think they know things about the universe, and those with an education in science invariably disagree with them. Since those in question could not possibly be wrong, and the only thing their detractors share in common is a knowledge of science, science must therefore be conspiring to suppress their ideas and ruin their good name.
In the case of the other group, it's because the internet, cellular phones, big guns and science fiction is scary. Since they all have science in common, that must mean that science is out to destroy the world. The fact that scientists have to live in this world like everyone else is incidental, after all, religious extremists kill themselves to further their goals, why can't the big, bad, scary scientists?

QUOTE (magpies)
If your going to tell me they dont try to keep it secret then honestly tell me is there anything people should not be allowed to know how to build? I think the government has an answer to this one as some things explained over the interent can get you into jail fast...

You can find free copies of functional plans for nuclear weapons on the internet. Hell, you can even find the free education you'd need to refine them on the internet. The fact that you think the government keeps such information secret (or that the government could keep such information secret) lets the rest of us know how much of an idiot you are.
It's not know-how that prevents people from building nukes in their backyards, it's a lack of proper materials, funding and experience, dumbass.
UK reveals nuclear bomb plans

This post has been edited by MjolnirPants on Jun 14 2009, 06:53 AM

--------------------
-=Forum Mafia OG=-
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. - William G. Mcadoo
But it's hella fun to try. - Me

I've got a hammer in my pants,
It shoots lightning.
http://bigdumbblog.wordpress.com

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

Terms of use