Scientific Forums

Add reply · Start new topic · Start new poll

> Incompleteness Shows Evolution Flawed, Thought experiement reveals faults
no1nose
Posted: Jun 15 2008, 02:26 AM

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 5.88%
Feedback Score: -54

Incompleteness Thought Experiment. (please try this yourselves)

Sitting on the table before me is a coffee cup. I now close my eyes and try to picture the cup. As I try to picture the cup within my mind I notice that I can only hold the image of the cup for a short time and that the image that I imagine is different than what I see when I look at the cup. The image of the cup that I imagine is static in time and more two dimensional than three. I cannot imagine the whole cup but only a view of it. Clearly the cup that exists in my mind is a distorted representation of the cup on the table. The cup in my mind is made up from my observations of the cup on the table. But the cup in my mind is not the same as the cup on the table. The cup on the table exists in real time and space while the cup in my mind exists in an entirely different way that is not a true representation.

I now take a pen and paper and attempt to describe the cup. However, hard I try my description will be of the cup that is in my imagination and not the actual cup itself. This then is the problem with any description of nature based on observations. With the aid on mathematics we can describe some aspects of the cup and make predications based on laws of nature. But in the case of Evolution there are no mathematical measures inherit in its theory. This being the case we are left with only the distorted images in our minds to use as a basis for a written description of the natural world and how it works.

This was what Darwin faced when he set out to describe nature with the Theory of Evolution. Besides working with observations based on distorted images he needed a scenario or outline that would make sense of his observations. This is where he turned to Christian beliefs. In Christianity there is the idea that some survive and some become “extinct”. There is also the idea that changing one’s nature is the key to survival. This fit well with his observations and with a few adaptations became the Theory of Evolution.

--------------------
Long live luminiferous aether, phlogiston, astrology, alchemy, and evolution!
Send PM ·
deadbeat
Posted: Jun 15 2008, 02:51 AM

sceptical optimist

Positive Feedback: 32.69%
Feedback Score: -113

Er...well

Not sure what you are getting at, I did read what you wrote carefully but...

We can make careful observations of things existing in nature.

The very discrepancies you infer as to observation are intentionally reduced and minimized.

We can make scientific observations, accurately describing the object observed, the unit of measure and the method used so that it can be independently verified.

This can be as accurate as genome sequencing, or as simple as ascribing different categories to differentiate animals by traits, like mammals, reptiles, invertebrates.

What you should be focusing on is that the information gleaned really does not directly apply to the presence or absence of God. If it does however conflict with your literal interpretation of the Bible, well, then the problem is one of your own and not that of science.

--------------------
"For those with faith, no explanation is necessary. For those without, no explanation is possible." –Thomas Aquinas

Thank you silent.cecilia, an excellent quote
Gehn
Posted: Jun 15 2008, 09:06 AM

Ook!

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 76.12%
Feedback Score: 91

QUOTE (no1nose @ Jun 15 2008, 02:26 AM)
Incompleteness Thought Experiment. (please try this yourselves)

Sitting on the table before me is a coffee cup. I now close my eyes and try to picture the cup. As I try to picture the cup within my mind I notice that I can only hold the image of the cup for a short time and that the image that I imagine is different than what I see when I look at the cup. The image of the cup that I imagine is static in time and more two dimensional than three. I cannot imagine the whole cup but only a view of it. Clearly the cup that exists in my mind is a distorted representation of the cup on the table. The cup in my mind is made up from my observations of the cup on the table. But the cup in my mind is not the same as the cup on the table. The cup on the table exists in real time and space while the cup in my mind exists in an entirely different way that is not a true representation.

I now take a pen and paper and attempt to describe the cup. However, hard I try my description will be of the cup that is in my imagination and not the actual cup itself. This then is the problem with any description of nature based on observations. With the aid on mathematics we can describe some aspects of the cup and make predications based on laws of nature. But in the case of Evolution there are no mathematical measures inherit in its theory. This being the case we are left with only the distorted images in our minds to use as a basis for a written description of the natural world and how it works.

This was what Darwin faced when he set out to describe nature with the Theory of Evolution. Besides working with observations based on distorted images he needed a scenario or outline that would make sense of his observations. This is where he turned to Christian beliefs. In Christianity there is the idea that some survive and some become “extinct”. There is also the idea that changing one’s nature is the key to survival. This fit well with his observations and with a few adaptations became the Theory of Evolution.

If that were true, then "incompetent thought" would mean that the Bible is highly inaccurate. And anyway, Darwin STUDIED the animals he looked at. He didn't just take a brief glance, and go away to write up the theory of evolution. So he would have had a much better picture of them in his head (And probably plenty of notes and drawings) before he thought about how they progressed than your picture of your cup.

- Gehn biggrin.gif

--------------------
Evans: "satan doesnt thinks so
satan controls you're and every atheist mind and you dont; know aboute it"

you need exorcism like all other "atheists" "

Since I am, of course, an athiest, Satan has a habit of controlling my actions quite a lot now a days. So don't blame me for whatever I say or do, okay? Because if you do, you're saying that Satan isn't controlling me, which means that you're denying religion, which means that you're EVIL.
no1nose
Posted: Jun 15 2008, 09:21 AM

“Incompleteness” for want of a better world is evident throughout nature. For example in physics there is the uncertainty principle. And in the natural world life is organized in way a way that prevents conscious life from being in direct contact with it ultimate source of life

Light flows to the green plants, which use light to make the food that flows to the animals. It would be an advantage for an animal to be able to make food from light the way that plants do. But there are no animals that can make food from light the way plants do.

Plants that receive their food from this ultimate source are unconscious and unseeing. There are no plants with eyes that can see or minds that can know. Life, it seems, is shielded from ever coming face to face and knowing where its life comes from. Life is divided in two. The living things that receive their “food” as light are unconscious and unseeing. And the animals that can see and think receive the “light as food” only indirectly from the food that the plants produce for them.

--------------------
Send PM ·
gmilam
Posted: Jun 15 2008, 03:31 PM

This line intentionally left blank

Positive Feedback: 81.97%
Feedback Score: 89

I did not know that plants made food from light. I thought that they used the energy from light to process the nutrients they got from the water and the soil.

You know - photosynthesis.

--------------------
"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused." - Elvis Costello
no1nose
Posted: Jun 16 2008, 10:29 PM

The problem with the Theory of Evolution is that the theory itself lacks a mathematical foundation. As such the Theory cannot be verified by empirical means. The empirical science that is often associated with evolution really exists independent of the Theory of Evolution and would be equally valid if the Theory of Evolution were to completely disappear. So like the coffee cup in one’s mind that is as good as it gets for this theory.

--------------------
Send PM ·
AlphaNumeric
Posted: Jun 16 2008, 11:08 PM

Professional mathematician

Positive Feedback: 84.15%
Feedback Score: 420

QUOTE (no1nose @ Jun 16 2008, 11:29 PM)
The problem with the Theory of Evolution is that the theory itself lacks a mathematical foundation. As such the Theory cannot be verified by empirical means.

Science is more than just equations. You can make predictions about behaviour of systems in a way which still stands up to Popper's definition of 'scientific'. Evolution makes predictions about how life will behave/develop when put under 'evolutionary pressure'. If you apply pressure to life, it will adapt. The classic example being diseases which adapt to medicines. Evolution in action. If such things didn't occur it would be a point against evolution.

I asked you in a previous thread but you didn't reply : Do you actually know anything about Godel's Incompleteness Theorem or the Uncertainty Principle. Because in both cases you have shown that you don't understand the concepts they put forth and I get the distinct impression you have no idea about the actual maths/physics involved.

--------------------
The views in the above post are those of its author and not those of the people who educated him through a degree and masters, supervised him or collaborated with him during his PhD, paid him to teach and mark undergraduate mathematics and physics courses or who pay him to do research now.

Any insults, flames or rants are purely the work of the author and not said people or institutions. Cranks are not suffered well.
Alcari
Posted: Jun 16 2008, 11:43 PM

Positive Feedback: 100%
Feedback Score: 9

Well, In a way, every observation we make about anything is flawed. You can never make a 100% accurate prediction because that would require a 100% accurate model and a 100% accurate starting point, both of which are impossible.

To demonstrate i'll use a mathematical example, because numbers illustrate well.
Suppose you know Pi to three decimals, 3.142. Now, if you try to calculate the surface of a circle with a radius of a meter, you'll be off by about 407 micrometers. If you know pi to within 5 decimals, you're off by about 2.6 micrometers.

Keep improving the theory, and you'll get closer to the perfect truth. However, there comes a point where you're still not at the absolute truth, but nobody really cares about the difference anymore.
In the example, when you know pi to within 8 decimals, you're off by 3 nanometers. That's 99.9999997% accurate, or as we like to call it: It's a working theory.

So, while no scientist (except mathematicians) will ever reach the absolute, complete truth, it's the best we're actually going to get. Besides, it's the only way to actually learn anything about the universe we live in.
excaza
Posted: Jun 17 2008, 01:13 AM

I'm Stupid

Positive Feedback: 89.74%
Feedback Score: 47

QUOTE (no1nose @ Jun 16 2008, 05:29 PM)
The problem with the Theory of Evolution is that the theory itself lacks a mathematical foundation.  As such the Theory cannot be verified by empirical means.

blink.gif

Empirical: Pertaining to, or founded upon, experiment or experience; depending upon the observation of phenomena; versed in experiments

This post has been edited by excaza on Jun 17 2008, 01:13 AM

--------------------
PuckSR: Think of the dumbest child you knew when you were young. Now suddenly advance him 30 years in age and smash him in a head with a brick. You have now approximated the intellectual capacity of dad1.

BoL: I love how you ignore the fact that a team of russian scientists actually found hell and heard the screams of the damned.

DavidD: Where is my nobel prize?
DavidD: This is fact, which don't need to prove!
DavidD: BTW, HIV can be cancer...
PuckSR
Posted: Jun 17 2008, 01:28 AM

---------

Positive Feedback: 83.33%
Feedback Score: 37

The problem with the Theory of Evolution is that the theory itself lacks a mathematical foundation. As such the Theory cannot be verified by empirical means. The empirical science that is often associated with evolution really exists independent of the Theory of Evolution and would be equally valid if the Theory of Evolution were to completely disappear. So like the coffee cup in one’s mind that is as good as it gets for this theory.

If Evolution lacks a mathematical basis, then so does Quantum Theory.
Holy Crap this reminds me of something hilarious
User posted image: http://xkcd.com/435/

This post has been edited by PuckSR on Jun 17 2008, 01:30 AM

--------------------
Did you know that female hyenas have a pseudo-penis?
A hyenas clitoris is larger than a male hyena's penis.
no1nose
Posted: Jan 30 2011, 10:39 PM

QUOTE (PuckSR @ Jun 17 2008, 01:28 AM)

If Evolution lacks a mathematical basis, then so does Quantum Theory.
Holy Crap this reminds me of something hilarious
User posted image: <a target='_blank' href='http://xkcd.com/435/'>http://xkcd.com/435/</a>

The Theory of Evolution is indeed a math free zone whereas quantum physics is not

[Moderator: Suspended 20 days for lying in ignorance of what the theory of evolution is and what math is.]

This post has been edited by rpenner on Jan 31 2011, 04:39 PM

--------------------
Send PM ·
El_Machinae
Posted: Feb 1 2011, 04:18 PM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 87.76%
Feedback Score: 54

Thread title DELIVERS!

"Thought experiement reveals faults"

yup

This post has been edited by El_Machinae on Feb 1 2011, 04:19 PM

--------------------
Stanford University's YouTube playlists, cleverly arranged by seminar topic. Free!
http://www.youtube.com/user/StanfordUniversity/playlists
Self-improvement is intentional and iterative
Send PM ·
no1nose
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 03:36 AM

Is it Ok to say now that The Theory of Evolution is a math free zone ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df3qFbpCuoQ...Sl2J8C24OXaIhlN

--------------------
Send PM ·
Robittybob1
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 03:59 AM

Advanced Member

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: 0

QUOTE (no1nose @ Feb 16 2012, 03:36 AM)
Is it Ok to say now that The Theory of Evolution is a math free zone ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df3qFbpCuoQ...Sl2J8C24OXaIhlN

No one knows!
no1nose
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 08:12 AM

So far so good tongue.gif

--------------------
Send PM ·

Topic Options

Add reply · Start new topic · Start new poll

Terms of use