Scientific Forums

Pages: (40) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post )

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

> Life's Drive And Purpose, Choice Of Our Life's Purpose Is OURS
HenisDov
Posted: May 18 2007, 08:05 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 46.43%
Feedback Score: -26

A. If one accepts, intuitively and logically, Pasteur's observation that all life must come from previously existing life, then the answer to "what makes a mono- and poly-cell life-form a Life" is the answer to "what makes some molecular associations in cells LIVES", and vice versa. It is the "lifelihood" of genes that makes us and all other forms of life on Earth living organisms, and evolution has been the route of Life's ever more complexing progress since the first replication of the first gene.

Early independent peptides, primordial genes, have entered into symbiotic associations in which eventually each of the ever increasing host of functions/tasks vital for the evolving associations is taken up by the member most efficient at it, leading to gene speciation and to gene specialization.

The history of life begins with independent genes, cascading fractally from single independent genes to agregate of genes, then to agregate of agregate of genes. Cooperative association is an inherent feature of life throughout all its evolution and at all its levels, in pre-cell and in mono-cell life and in mono-cell communities and in poly-cell life-forms and in communities of poly-cell life forms.

B. The totality of life in Earth's biosphere (the outermost part of the planet's shell including air, land, surface rocks and water within which life occurs, and which biotic processes in turn alter or transform. Wikipedia.) is a temporary grand store of energy, and all living organisms are elaborate temporary energy storage containers and all base genetic materials are "Life quanta", carriers of "Life photons". Humans are just one of the many types of Earth's living organisms, regardless of the reasons and purpose of their self-inflated high-self-esteem.

C. Life's evolution has been and still is and will continue to be the evolution of genes. The total number of genes, each with its own unique identity/functional-capability is, of course, the number of different organisms multiplied by their number of genes, which are now dependent-symbiotic members in chromosomes, cooperative-communes of genes. It is the GENES that evolve, and the evolution of the chromosomes and organisms is simply a consequence of their genes' evolution. The drive and purpose of evolution of the organisms is to enhance the functionality and survivability of the genes, in order to maintain and enhance Earth's biosphere energy storage.

D. This is the plain bare story of the drive and purpose of life. We do not yet comprehend what ENERGY is generically. We are just beginning to comprehend the nature of the raw material called Life and that the purpose of OUR life is ours to choose and develop and follow.

Dov

This post has been edited by HenisDov on May 18 2007, 08:11 AM
HenisDov
Posted: May 19 2007, 07:05 PM

Advanced Member

For further impact of the relationship between genomes' genes and their product organisms:

This is not science fiction. This is life:

- Having mastered production of spaceships, we are taking first steps now to set up a space station. Our genes' predecessors did this circa 600 million years ago, complexing mono-cell organisms to poly-cell organisms.

- And what ingenuity of genomes' genes; in many poly-cell organisms some cells are designed for and carry out special functions but most cells contain ALL the genes' complement yet only some of the genes in the cells are activated as required by their cell's position and allotted function within the space-station/organism while the other genes await until called for active duty...

- etc.,

Dov
HenisDov
Posted: May 21 2007, 08:33 PM

Advanced Member

Again, humans, like every other organism, are just products of evolution of the individual and collective genes of their genome. And humans, like every other organism, repay their genetic formers with feedbacks that serve to further complex their formers and to increase their formers' survivability. The organisms are NOT the purpose of life, but only the means of survival of THE PURPOSE of life, which is their genetic material. However, as far as the organism is concerned it itself IS the purpose of life; ask any human...

If you have patience and the required concentration to read not a long account, you will find in the following link an awe inspiring description of just some of the works of our genome, of its performance during the course of its formation of ourselves:

http://www.newhorizons.org/neuro/scheibel.htm

Dov
HenisDov
Posted: May 24 2007, 06:22 AM

Advanced Member

Cognition = the capability, process or act of thinking, questioning and analysing.

Cognition is Cultural is Biological.

Cognition derives from culture, which is a biological attribute of ALL organisms regardless of size or complexity.

Culture is the totality of ways of the organisms' dealing with (reaction to, manipulation of, exploitation of) its environment.

The choice and promotion of our purpose in life derives solely from our cognition.

Dov
photojack
Posted: May 25 2007, 09:15 PM

Rationality personified.

Positive Feedback: 83.93%
Feedback Score: 73

HenisDov, Your link to the New Horizons for Learning site about Embryological Development of the Human Brain was one of the best summaries of that topic I have seen. An understanding of that will clarify why identical twins have different mental constructs and outlooks and why cloning will never produce a perfect mirror being of the original. The only concept of which I was unfamiliar was "Taikyo" of which I couldn't find anything agreeing with the definition in the article. Wikipedia didn't help, but Google came through...

"Taikyo."

Taikyo or 'Great Teaching' was the name of the government-inspired national religion promulgated between 1870-1884 following the Meiji restoration and the 'separation' of kami and Buddhas (shinbutsu bunri). Taikyo mingled archaic beliefs about the divinity of the emperor with traditional Confucian morality and new ideas connected with the advent of oligarchic constitutional government and the introduction of Western technology and institutions.
The main elements of Taikyo were summarized as the 'Three Great Teachings':
1. respect for the gods, love of country;
2. making clear the principles of Heaven and the Way of Man;
3. reverence for the emperor and obedience to the will of the court.
These teachings remained vague and were interpreted in various ways by the 'national evangelists' who were trained to promulgate them. Broadly they encouraged citizens to pay taxes, comply with military conscription and compulsory education, adapt to the new solar calendar, etc. in accordance with the motto 'rich country, strong army'. From http://philtar.ucsm.ac.uk/encyclopedia/shinto/taikyo.html

This site is one of the best religion sites I have seen, and it clearly shows the fractionality and variability of the world's religions. It looks like this Taikyo was the tool of the Emperor to instill blind patriotism and obedience in the Japanese prior to WWII. Hardly beneficial to the furtherance of life's drive and purpose!

I totally agree with the " happy thoughts" of the mother as being a positive influence in fetal development. If that philosophy could be instituted worldwide and followed up with a balanced, agenda-free education following the principles of the "Teaching Tolerance" program from the Southern Poverty Law Center and based on documentable science and with optimum learning strategies, bias, bigotry and idealogical differences would nearly cease to exist. smile.gif UNESCO's stated goals are not far off from that mark. Educating the upcoming generation to our best ability for the furtherance of culture and civilization would be one of the highest goals imaginable to strive for. biggrin.gif That would be one of the most important aims for life's drive and purpose. Please see "Education and Ecstasy" by George Leonard.

--------------------
Darwin was a keen observer and theorist and his theory is PROVEN beyond a shadow of a doubt. The only reason it is still called a theory is because it can't be proven in the same way a mathematical theorem can. That is a problem with semantics, NOT the science!
HenisDov
Posted: May 26 2007, 07:30 PM

Advanced Member

photojack,

A. About the Purpose of life I suggest:

...cognition derives from culture, which is a biological matter.

...we comprehend that, like every other organism, each of us is a temporary energy container formed and used by genetic material for ITS purpose, and that besides this the choice and promotion of OUR purpose in life derives solely from our cognition, our capability of thinking, questioning and analysing

B. You have remarked about:

... religion sites ... shows the fractionality and variability of the world's religions.

...Taikyo, Japan...mother's "happy thoughts" ... positive influence in fetal development...could it be instituted worldwide and followed with balanced, agenda-free education...like the "Teaching Tolerance" program...based on science...bias, bigotry and idealogical differences would nearly cease to exist.

...UNESCO's stated goals are not far off from that mark. Educating the upcoming generation to our best ability for the furtherance of culture and civilization would be one of the highest goals imaginable to strive for. That would be one of the most important aims for life's drive and purpose.

C. I confess, being an old timer looking back at his long life so far, that I now give hardly any weight to the lofty purposes you list. Instead, I give much weight to my personal feelings about the experiences I had or missed in life and to the memories I leave or wished I'd have left behind.

Dov
photojack
Posted: May 27 2007, 05:11 PM

Rationality personified.

Positive Feedback: 83.93%
Feedback Score: 73

I've always respected "old-timers" for their wisdom and perspectives. One of the biggest problems I see in America is a lack of respect for the elderly in this upcoming generation. My broad readings on a huge variety of topics and interest in world history have lead to many long and interesting dialogs with people of my father's generation and a mutual understanding and respect. I have kept my optimism alive and well and am genuinely seeking your thoughts and input. Have you looked into the "Teaching Tolerance" program? I have asked before, how would you propose ending the Palestinian indoctrination of their entire upcoming generations? Using the UN or some other international organization would eliminate the 'American domination or imposition" argument. There must be a way. Any Arab organizations around that could address this?

"photojack quote, "Educating the upcoming generation to our best ability for the furtherance of culture and civilization."

What DO you think of my reply to life's drive and purpose as a drive to EDUCATE?

--------------------
Darwin was a keen observer and theorist and his theory is PROVEN beyond a shadow of a doubt. The only reason it is still called a theory is because it can't be proven in the same way a mathematical theorem can. That is a problem with semantics, NOT the science!
HenisDov
Posted: May 29 2007, 04:34 PM

Advanced Member

PJ,

- Re your "seeking thoughts and input" I'm flattered but not sure that I can deliver. And not all wines improve with age. Some become sour.

- I have not looked at the "Teaching Tolerance" or at any other specific teaching program. I aim at the pre-teaching-indoctrination background worldview foundation, at a broad public comprehension of the science-informed nature of life, humans and humanity, the matrix for education inputs. This is one of my personal life purposes. It conditions me for going through life towards my end of life with my personal worldview. It engages me personally, for myself, not as means for a communal project.

- Each individual human is unique. This is biology and therefore this is also culturally. To each his goal and purpose and route.

Dov

PS: I do not think that "Palestinian education" belongs in this topic. If I had my t'rathers I'd rather comment on this in a more relevant topic.

Dov
HenisDov
Posted: Jun 6 2007, 07:45 PM

Advanced Member

Two recent reports demonstrate the point that Organisms are just the temporary space-ships or -stations of their base genetic cooperative communes, that ARE the actual LIVES that have been undergoing evolution since their first independent foreparents formed from their base chemicals circa four billion yrs ago:

(A) Bjorn Brembs: Fruit flies display rudimentary free will.

"Brains are usually described as input/output systems: they transform sensory input into motor output. However, the motor output of brains (behavior) is notoriously variable, even under identical sensory conditions. The question of whether this behavioral variability merely reflects residual deviations due to extrinsic random noise in such otherwise deterministic systems or an intrinsic, adaptive indeterminacy trait is central for the basic understanding of brain function. Instead of random noise, we find a fractal order (resembling Levy flights) in the temporal structure of spontaneous flight maneuvers in tethered Drosophila fruit flies. Levy-like probabilistic behavior patterns are evolutionarily conserved, suggesting a general neural mechanism underlying spontaneous behavior. Drosophila can produce these patterns endogenously, without any external cues. Such behavior is controlled by brain circuits which operate as a nonlinear system with unstable dynamics far from equilibrium. These findings suggest that both general models of brain function and autonomous agents ought to include biologically relevant nonlinear, endogenous behavior-initiating mechanisms if they strive to realistically simulate biological brains or out-compete other agents."

(B) Shark pup result of 'virgin birth'. 23 May 2007 NewScientist.com .

"...there were three females, and then there were four...

The researchers believe the hammerhead shark reproduced by a type of asexual reproduction called automictic parthenogenesis, whereby an unfertilised egg is activated to behave as a normal fertilised egg by a small, nearly genetically identical cell known as the sister polar body.

Because the unfertilised egg and the polar body both contain only half of the mother's genes and the same half not only did the pup not get any genes from a father, it also only got half of its mother's genes.

The researchers believe this restriction of genetic diversity could be detrimental to the survival of endangered shark species if female hammerhead sharks switch to asexual reproduction when they are having trouble finding a mate."

forwarded by Dov
HenisDov
Posted: Jun 7 2007, 03:29 AM

Advanced Member

Since a system/sub-system must be fractal to evolve, and since the Universe, including its sub-system Life, is continuously evolving, ergo energy is the BASE ELEMENT of everything and individual genes are the base elements of Life. Cosmic evolution is evolution of energy, and within it Life's evolution is the evolution of the genes/energy-quanta carriers.

Dov
HenisDov
Posted: Jun 13 2007, 03:20 AM

Advanced Member

Human Versus Animal Rights

A.

From NewScientist, 30 May 2007 :

Humans have rights, should human-like animals?

"The Catholic Church and Amnesty International point out that we have a long way to go to secure human rights before we start thinking about animals.
Other critics argue that the move is not radical enough and should be extended to other intelligent social animals such as elephants and dolphins, and potentially to all animals. Meanwhile, all species of great ape face extinction in the wild ..."

B.

From Dov's earlier posts:

Again, humans, like every other organism, are just products of evolution of the individual and collective genes of their genome. And humans, like every other organism, repay their genetic formers with feedbacks that serve to further complex their formers, genes, and to increase their formers' survivability. Organisms, including humans, are NOT the purpose of life, but only random temporary forms of survival of THE PURPOSE of life, which is the genetic material. This is obviously so even if as far as the organism is concerned IT itself IS the purpose of life; ask any human...

Cognition derives from culture, which is a biological attribute of ALL organisms regardless of size or complexity. Culture is the totality of ways of the organisms' relationship with its environment, and the choice and promotion of our purpose in life derives solely from our cognition.

C.

Thus Human Rights are some of the values made up by humans and promulgated and promoted for human geno- and pheno-typic survival in a world in which survival comprise various ways of exploiting and/or treatments of other organisms.

So we need to go back to Cognition, to the capability, process or act of thinking, questioning and analysing, for consideration of the subject of why and how humans should interact with other, which, life forms.

Dov
HenisDov
Posted: Jun 20 2007, 06:44 AM

Advanced Member

An additional recent demo of the relationship "organism-feedback to evolving-genes":

Genes may help people learn Chinese
28 May 2007
NewScientist.com news service
Nora Schultz

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1193...r&nsref=dn11939

All babies can grow up speaking any language, but now researchers have uncovered evidence that genes may in fact play a part in learning so-called "tonal languages", such as Chinese.

Using statistical analysis, the pair showed that people in regions where non-tonal languages are spoken are more likely to carry different, More Recently Evolved forms of two brain development genes, ASPM and Microcephalin, than people in tonal regions. Dediu and Ladd accounted for geography and history, and the gene differences remained.

Bernard Crespi, an evolutionary biologist at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, Canada, says the results "open up a whole new field of inquiry, that links language evolution with adaptive molecular evolution and brain function."

But Crespi speculates that the Lower Complexity of Non-tonal Languages could confer a selective advantage: "Adoption of a simpler language might be 'easier', allowing for faster acquisition of language or other brain functions in early childhood. These ideas could be tested."

I suggest that Crespi is wrong. Non-tonal is not of lower or higher complexity than tonal language. It is simply a phenotypic result of different set of circumstances, and it most probably affects also other brain function simply by being another variable brain factor.

Dov
Bloy
Posted: Jun 20 2007, 06:08 PM

Deficient Member

Positive Feedback: 58.18%

HenisDov
Using statistical analysis, the pair showed that people in regions where non-tonal languages are spoken are more likely to carry different, More Recently Evolved forms of two brain development genes, ASPM and Microcephalin, than people in tonal regions. Dediu and Ladd accounted for geography and history, and the gene differences remained.

More recently evolved....
Of what time span are we looking at here.
It is my contention (An assertion put forward in argument) that these genes or any other genes all have a receptivity to re-development of varying flexibility concerning there passing through time. Our IDs upon inception are for the most part developing by biological memory based on previous generations. A cumulative collection if you will. My interest is after puberty. when other changes begin to manufest themselves

Thank you for your thread!

--------------------
an inefficient sponge,
John W. Meissner (real name)
HenisDov
Posted: Jun 22 2007, 04:08 AM

Advanced Member

Bloy,

- If I'm not mistaken human puberty sets in closely as biological brain development ceases and its "exessive cells" disposition has started , i.e. circa 12 for girls and 14 for boys. (BTW this is interesting from other view points...)

- I also think that genes' "receptivity to re-development" is the normal mode of development. When a gene undergoes re-creation it faces a "junction of several possible routes" and it's settlement on one of them is determined by a group of then existing circumstancial factors.

- you might find details of the work on language via the link:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog...ves/004564.html

- and you might find several other relevant thoughts in:

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-P81pQcU1dLB..._Q--?cq=1&p=247

Dov
HenisDov
Posted: Jun 23 2007, 02:45 PM

Advanced Member

I read some time ago that biologist E.O. Wilson has a new project: it's called the Encyclopedia of Life (EOL), and it aims to make all knowledge of the world's 1.8 million known species freely available online within just 10 years.

I suggest that this would be a waste of effort and of time, because it would most probably be based on the presently accepted tree of life, with one thing branching off after another, we f.e. listed under genus Homo species sapien, genus being a grouping of one or more related and morphologically similar species.

I suggest that in the age of Genetics and DNA identification and definitions of genes expressions phylogeny should be redefined and reorganized based on the evolution of the genetic material, as the tree of life should present comprehension of how the genetic material has been evolving on Earth since four billion yrs ago ...

Dov

Topic Options Pages: (40) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Add reply Start new topic Start new poll

Terms of use