Scientific Forums

Pages: (134) « First ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post )

Add reply · Start new topic · Start new poll

> The impossibility of something faster than light
mott.carl
Posted: Nov 4 2006, 11:07 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Positive Feedback: 35%
Feedback Score: -123

mr.alphanumeric
you does goods conscructions in english.but its thoughts in physics are wrongs or are of wikipedia

go to do so

you send some mathematical,calcule or topology,and gives me 1 month to answer
i send problems to you,place it of actuation area.
and go see

other thing,please explain yours ideas on the infinitesimals or transfinite of cantor

AlphaNumeric
Posted: Nov 4 2006, 11:51 AM

Professional mathematician

Group: Power Member

Positive Feedback: 84.15%
Feedback Score: 420

QUOTE (mott.carl @ Nov 4 2006, 12:07 PM)
you does goods conscructions in english.but its thoughts in physics are wrongs or are of wikipedia

I link to Wikipedia a lot because it is often a good way of explaining material to people who don't know it, particularly if it's a big subject in physics. I can assure you that my knowledge in physics isn't harvested from Wikipedia.
you send some mathematical,calcule or topology,and gives me 1 month to answer
i send problems to you,place it of actuation area.
and go see
I don't feel I need to test you or give you problems, particularly for a month because it's all too easy to find someone who can do the problems and get them to. Instead, why you don't demonstrate your abilities in those areas by making more coherent posts which explain your ideas more than just being packed with buzzwords. It's possible to talk about things like 12 dimensional F theory which involves to 2 dimensions (as you mentioned in another thread) without just spewing out buzzwords, or at least explaining yourself a bit more.

I'm not against people talking about such things, in fact, it'd be nice if someone who did actually understand those things did talk about them, but you've got to demonstrate you do understand them first other than spitting out a half page of solid buzzwords which doesn't exactly facilitate discussion.
other thing,please explain yours ideas on the infinitesimals or transfinite of cantor
You have been saying thaqt using differential equations, which work on the notion of infinitesimal numbers, doesn't work for a quantised system. It does work for things like that in quantum mechanics.

Why not just slow down a bit and rather than always posting all your thoughts at once (always getting back to CP violation it seems) actually just stay on topic and explain how your thoughts link to the topic at hand. That would be a much better way of you demonstrating your knowledge than me sending you a bunch of questions you can easily get someone else to do.

--------------------
The views in the above post are those of its author and not those of the people who educated him through a degree and masters, supervised him or collaborated with him during his PhD, paid him to teach and mark undergraduate mathematics and physics courses or who pay him to do research now.

Any insults, flames or rants are purely the work of the author and not said people or institutions. Cranks are not suffered well.
mott.carl
Posted: Nov 4 2006, 01:24 PM

Advanced Member

robert neil boyd

his studies about negative refactive index has some relations with the nature of light,that permit that waves of light can to travel with velocities greater than the light measured by us in the vacuum,with metamaterials.but must there is non-causal that permit speeds greater than the light without violate causality;in that metamaterial the velocity of light is dependent of the frequency of light.then the
polarization of light turn the speed of light anisotropic(HOW IS POSSIBLE THE LIGHT SPEED BE ISOTROPIC AND CONSTANT IF THE VACUUM AND ITS QUANTIC FLUTUATIONS,IF IT SUFFER SHOCKS,DEFORMATIONS IN THE DIRECTIONS,it is
right and lrft handed,the differences between particles and antiparticles rotations(spins) does generate the dilatation of time and lenght contractions,in proportions
at the velocities,having as limit the speed of light generated due at the breakdown of pt,preferible that cpt,the generates differents curvatures of space-time in relations to the differences of speeds,having as speed-limit,c.

what your thought at respect of spontaneous symmetry breaking of the opperator
PT ?
mott.carl
Posted: Nov 4 2006, 01:29 PM

Advanced Member

mr.alphanumeric

i'm sorry.excuse me.only are speaking on ideas.it isn't a war

best wishes
mott.carl
AlphaNumeric
Posted: Nov 4 2006, 02:22 PM

Professional mathematician

Positive Feedback: 84.15%
Feedback Score: 420

I never said it was. I'm just suggesting that you'd get more meaningful discussion if you slowed down a bit and explained your ideas a bit more rather than just posting a block of buzzwords.

For instance, I know a bit about things like M theory, F theory, quantum field theories, spontaneous symmetry breaking etc but I never respond to your posts to discuss them because you don't make it obvious what exactly you're talking about and what your point is, you just babble, bouncing from one idea to the next without explaination.

Slowing down, doing more explaining and being a bit more coherent would aid you in discussions. If you've ever actually read papers on the things you mention or read lecture notes you'd know that such things are much more understandable than yourself.

--------------------
The views in the above post are those of its author and not those of the people who educated him through a degree and masters, supervised him or collaborated with him during his PhD, paid him to teach and mark undergraduate mathematics and physics courses or who pay him to do research now.

Any insults, flames or rants are purely the work of the author and not said people or institutions. Cranks are not suffered well.
Robert Neil Boyd
Posted: Nov 4 2006, 04:23 PM

Positive Feedback: 47.06%
Feedback Score: -10

Dear Carl,

Here, let us try it this way. Let me ask you some questions and let us see if you can answer any of them directly, simply, and to the point. (I hope you learn something in the process.)

What is "symmetry breaking"? What does this term refer to?
What then, is "spontaneous symmetry breaking"?

What relationship does the polarization of light have to the speed of light?
How is the velocity of light related to the frequency of light?

These are foundational questions. The relevant information should be completely and perfectly understood by you, and thus, related questions should be easily answered by you. I wish for that to be true for you. Right now, I'm afraid it's not, to be painfully honest.

Now, let's talk about one of your more valuable contributions, related to some things you actually do understand, to some degree:

(I'm going to paraphrase one of your most recent questions into terms that are more easily understood.)

You asked, in other words:

"How can the speed of light be everywhere the same, and constant, since we know that the "vacuum" is constantly suffering quantum fluctuations, resulting in extreme curvatures of space-time associated with each fluctuation? Should not these quantum fluctuations, present everywhere in space, cause the velocity of light to vary as the light encounters these fluctuations, according to relativity theory, and furthermore, to be altered in its direction as it encounters these drastic space-time curvatures in the course of its propagation through space, according to relativity theory?"

This is a good and insightful question, and one that needs to be properly addressed.
I'm afraid, right now, I can't seem to find any proper answer to this question. We have a foundational issue to deal with here.

Anybody got any ideas? Something is missing in our present understanding regarding quantum fluctuations, perhaps? Did we get it right?

Best Wishes,

Neil

mott.carl
Posted: Nov 4 2006, 05:29 PM

Advanced Member

dear neil

i think that breaks of symmetry are originated through of some physics laws can
be altered in the reversion of space,time,and charge,through of specular reflections, non-conserved rotational systems,as to non-reversion of proper lorentz transformations that is symmetrized by dyson-feynman -stuckelberg that does the reversion particles into antiparticles in the time.some experiences show
that occur asymmetry of time in experiences with k-b mesons.then antiparticles
are not generated by breakdown of cp,but pt to sudies of complex spectrum for
non-hermitian hamiltonian.

i get not think that velocity of light be constant and limit to the universe,without that,aspects of constant changes,or lose of symmetry to that the universe,as a whole.have a structution to if do constant the constant physics

how and why the velocity of light is constant and limit to the universe?then the speed of time is equal light speed?must there is HIDDEN VARIABLES AND SYMMETRIES THAT DETERMINE AND MODIFY CERTAIN PHYSICS LAWS.THEN THOSE hidden variables are opened as parameters,and explain as the non-linearity
can to be seen as linear in dimensions majors.and the breaks of symmetries explain the existences of multíplicity of particles and antiparticles,as well as the
existence of the space-time.the dilatation of time and contraction of space are
asymmetries between differents reference systems.then special theory of relativity
explain weakness these variations of space and time,as well as don't there is
mathematics tools to explain the principles of the relativity,the vaccum,connexion of time and space,because the time is motion,then the duality bilateral must be asymmetric to "motion of the space' that is conjugated with the time.then the
space-time structure is non-linear,therefore the connections of space-time only can be curves-that is given by riemannian metric and manifold,as placed by W.K.CLIFFORD

does some time do an election to know:what the greater physicist of all the time.
what his oppinion?

kind regards
RMC
Posted: Nov 4 2006, 05:57 PM

Positive Feedback: 100%
Feedback Score: 3

If you could go the speed of light it would take along long time to do so, well if you want to stay alive, you would have to gradually increase in speed.
Unicorn
Posted: Nov 5 2006, 12:32 AM

Positive Feedback: 0%
Feedback Score: -1

There is nothing in the Special Theory of Relativity that prohibits particles from traveling faster than the speed of light. What many interpret as saying that, is the theory says that it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate a particle with nonzero mass to exactly the speed of light. If you follow the mathematics of a particle traveling faster than the speed of light being decelerated you will find that it requires an infinite amount of energy to decelerate the particle to the speed of light. The problem of traveling faster than the speed of light appears to be how to get there without ever traveling at the speed of light. Tunneling doesn’t work. Tunneling mechanisms assume a finite barrier, while the speed of light seems to be infinite.
Laidback
Posted: Nov 5 2006, 02:06 AM

Friendly Layperson

Positive Feedback: 44.29%
Feedback Score: -105

QUOTE (Unicorn @ Nov 5 2006, 12:32 AM)
There is nothing in the Special Theory of Relativity that prohibits particles from traveling faster than the speed of light. What many interpret as saying that, is the theory says that it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate a particle with nonzero mass to exactly the speed of light. If you follow the mathematics of a particle traveling faster than the speed of light being decelerated you will find that it requires an infinite amount of energy to decelerate the particle to the speed of light.  The problem of traveling faster than the speed of light appears to be how to get there without ever traveling at the speed of light.  Tunneling doesn’t work.  Tunneling mechanisms assume a finite barrier, while the speed of light seems to be infinite.

What I want to know is what defines that particle?

What line of force are we talking about here that gives it reason to stand out from its surrounding?

Don't get me wrong in that I don't know how and why such reasoning has come about, so everyone here should note I don't see our universe consisting of Particles..

I am just curious how a Particle theorists sees the whole universe, like where the particles surface begins and ends and how and what defines the shape?

Does the environment contain its definition somehow? and what is the environment made up of?

And how would we depict one particle to another particle if we only used lines of force?

--------------------
"Gravity" and or a "Magnets" Perceived Pull or Attraction is
not some Magical force that beckons other mass.. What motion we observe and or experience is in fact the result from Repulsive force, put simply attractive force simply is impossible..

When dealing with Mass or energy via the maths we must remember when a dimension equates to zero or less one is in error..

One more Note:- "Space" is a NEAR-Vacuum, therefore a density or mass..
Robert Neil Boyd
Posted: Nov 6 2006, 02:27 AM

Dear Laidback,

You asked about particles. Let me give you some physics history that will put you on the right track:

Professor Dimitri Mendeleev was the “father” of the Periodic Table of the Atomic Elements, which he composed in 1869. In this first publication, Mendeleev placed a special “Zero Group” of atomic elements, which preceded the Nobel gases.

The quality of chemical inertness was assigned to these Zero Group gases, to explain their “non-reactive” character, and the difficulty of discovering these Zero Group gases chemically.

The lightest of the Zero Group gases, the first in the Periodic Table, was assigned by Mendeleev, a theoretical atomic weight 100,000,000 times lighter than hydrogen. The kinetic velocity of this gas was calculated by Mendeleev to be 2,500,000 meters per second.

Nearly massless, these gases were assumed by Mendeleev to permeate all matter, rarely interacting chemically. The high mobility and very small mass of these trans-hydrogen gases would result in the situation, that they could be rarefied, yet appear to be very dense.

Mendeleev was so confident that these atomic elements would be discovered, that he included them in his original publication of the periodic chart of the atomic elements, although there was no physical evidence for their existence available at the time. (Mendeleev also predicted the existence of several other of the atomic elements, including gallium and germanium, years before they were actually discovered.)

Mendeleev later published a theoretical expression of the aether, which satisfied many of the contradictions which existed in physics at that time, in a small booklet entitled, “A Chemical Conception of the Ether”, in 1904. (His expressions may well serve to help us eliminate many of the difficulties we are faced with in physics today.) His 1904 publication again contained two atomic elements smaller and lighter than hydrogen. He treated the “aether gas” as an interstellar atmosphere composed of at least two lighter-than-hydrogen elements. He stated that these gases originated due to violent bombardments internal to stars, the sun being the most prolific source of such gases. According to Mendeleev's booklet, the interstellar atmosphere was probably composed of several additional trans-hydrogenic elemental species.

Mendeleev's "Zero Group" gases were discovered experimentally by Nikola Tesla, who studied them, and their properties, extensively, over the course of the last 30 years of his life. Tesla found a total of seven trans-hydrogenic atomic elements.

Want more data? There's plenty more, if you're willing to track down, and read, old references.

Best Wishes, happy.gif

Neil
Robert Neil Boyd
Posted: Nov 6 2006, 03:00 AM

Dear Carl,

Let's get some information regarding one of the questions I presented for you to answer.

The first question was, "What is "symmetry breaking"? "

We'll start with Wikipedia. I'll quote them, then leave the rest of the study up to you.

"Symmetry breaking in physics describes a phenomenon where (infinitesimally) small fluctuations acting on a system crossing a critical point decide a system's fate, by determining which branch of a bifurcation is taken. For an outside observer unaware of the fluctuations (the "noise"), the choice will appear arbitrary. This process is called symmetry "breaking", because such transitions usually bring the system from a disorderly state into one of two more ordered, less probable states. Since disorder is more symmetric in the sense that small variations to it don't change its overall appearance, the symmetry gets "broken".

# An explicit symmetry breaking happens when the laws describing a system are themselves not invariant under the symmetry in question.
# Spontaneous symmetry breaking describes the case where the laws are invariant but it appears the system isn't because the background of the system, its order parameter, is noninvariant."

Now, can you answer the questions I asked you about light? Please?

Best Wishes,

Neil
mott.carl
Posted: Nov 6 2006, 09:55 AM

Advanced Member

robert neil boyd

ii imagine that light suffer variations in the subquantic vaccum,because suffer direct action of the se particles,then the photons of light,altere it light,because its
has mass and this mass is part give by the anti-photons-that are encapsulated as negative energy ,and to us run with in a negativespace-time.then the invariance
of the quantic vacuum is altered.then is symmetry breaks,because the symmetryc
of reversion of space-time(PT) not more occur
the speed of light suffering action of the vacuum,in its spectrum of many frequencies does,does the photons lose it anisotrpy,because the spped of light is altere ,when the occur differences between particles and antiparticles.it is occur
a strong asymmetry between left-handed and right -handed rotation systems,then the space-time would be differents in some interval,whwre the reversion of space-time if differents,then the antiphotons does not appear in this continuity of space-time.then only the parity is violated and reversal-time also.so the speed of light
follows non-linear pathway,that there the speed of light appear CONSTANT AND LIMIT to inertial observers,because the geometry is not euclidean flat,but elliptic
non-euclidean geometry that join space and time= continuos space-time.then the dilatation of time and contraction of space is linked to not reversion-symmetric of space-time(PT),and the difference between the left-handed and right handed rotations systems in its speeds imply that space-time suffer differents curvatures
with the increasing of speeds,there appear the difference of energy not conserved
when left-right handed is not symmetric.
the photons and antiphtons are asymmetrics.then the time asymmetry occured to macroscopic(with increase of entropy) and quantic level( decayment of k-b mesons),do symmetry break.

beat wishes

carl
Robert Neil Boyd
Posted: Nov 6 2006, 11:22 AM

Dear Carl,

For your convenience, I will pose the questions about light again, then answer them for you.

I asked:

"What relationship does the polarization of light have to the speed of light?"

The answer is:

In an optically active media, if the propagation direction of light is aligned with the optical axis of the media, it will propagate with a velocity that is slightly faster than the constant c. If the light is propagating in opposition to the optical axis of the media, it will propagate with a velocity slightly slower than the constant c. The polarization angle has nothing whatsoever to do with this. Only the direction of propagation. If the media through which light is propagating is not optically active, there will be no variation in the speed of light, regardless of the polarization angle, and regardless of the propagation direction.

I asked:

"How is the velocity of light related to the frequency of light?"

Answer:

It isn't.

I wish you all the best. I hope you continue to explore.

Neil

This post has been edited by Robert Neil Boyd on Nov 6 2006, 11:27 AM
mott.carl
Posted: Nov 6 2006, 12:01 PM

Advanced Member

dr.neil

i think that the polarization of light occur due the suquantic vaccum(that can be aether,frequency many spectrum),that does the spped of light be different when,enter in a rotating system,that does be different through of the change of the orientations of the spins.the light must suffer changes when go in and go out of the subquantic vaccum,then the orientations in the space-time altere the polarization of light.it must occur when a interferometer placed in direction:east-west must altere the polarization as well as speed of light-then reversal-time is asymmetric when re-oriente rotation of light left-handed to right-handed and vice-versa.then the speed of light must depend of the sped of the source.
near of the scale of planck,the speed suffer dispersions,and could perceive that speed of light change with the major dispersion of the light,itis when the light
suffer deformation in the subquantic vacuum,these vibrations modify the speed of light,because occur changes in the sub quantic that mofify negative refractive indez,the that distort the light,changing it speed in relation frequency of light,seen,in the refrangibility index.
is possible that biquaternions does appear the connexion of space-time through
of asymmetrics by rotations-breakdown of pt,associated the non-commutativity
that change the sign of pt,when the inversion of the rotation occur in fifth-dimension,that does the time appear as two opposed lines that go forward in time and backward in time and go if connecting,giving the idea of time smooth and linear,but it is non-linear,when aspace-time are connected as curves in elliptic non-euclidean geometry-it is non-linear space-time-have that this reversion would be given by doubly-periodic jacobian elliptic geometry-that does appear the structure
symmetric of the dirac equation to electron-positrons,and its anomalies.

Topic Options Pages: (134) « First ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... Last »

Add reply · Start new topic · Start new poll

Terms of use